LiveUpdate to 2.5 Corrupts the LiveUpdate Program

randau

I recently did a LiveUpdate to 2.5 after which I could no longer use
LiveUpdate to install updated Virus Definitions. I'm using the
LiveUpdate in Norton SystemWorks 2003 which had previously been
updated to LiveUpdate 2.0 back in January of 2004. I now get the
Virus Definitions error message:

LU1856: LiveUpdate was unable to access the file it downloaded.

When searching for the LU1856 error number in Symantec's Support web
site, there was nothing about it under the 2003 Knowledge Base.
Does anyone know what's going on here?

Buffalo

randau said:
I recently did a LiveUpdate to 2.5 after which I could no longer use
LiveUpdate to install updated Virus Definitions. I'm using the
LiveUpdate in Norton SystemWorks 2003 which had previously been
updated to LiveUpdate 2.0 back in January of 2004. I now get the
Virus Definitions error message:

LU1856: LiveUpdate was unable to access the file it downloaded.

When searching for the LU1856 error number in Symantec's Support web
site, there was nothing about it under the 2003 Knowledge Base.
Does anyone know what's going on here?
Go to the Symantec website and do the online troubleshooting for your NSW2003.

JPortz

i am having the very same problem. i am using NSW2004 on XP Pro. It working
fine just a week ago, then suddenly it can no longer install updates. I
have tried all the solutions for the particular LU 1856 (unable to access
downloaded file) & LU1806 (Redirector Error) respectively. I deleted all the
files for the settings.liveupdate file and restarted the PC, and tried the
liveupdate to no avail. i can't figure out. please advise..i am however able
to update virus definitions thru the intelligent updater from the symantec
site. Please advise....i am left with no more options....

Cymbal Man Freq.

A good reason to opt out of Norton AV! I switched to Panda on my Win 98SE
machine when the Live Update 2.0 took over incompletely & it couldn't download
the "core common components" update or some such, since January, even after a
reload of NSW 2003. So, when my subscription to norton expired in late July,
2004; I uninstalled NSW 2003 & reinstalled it without the AV portion (and
certainly not with the "Go Back" portion!). I keep NSW 2003 without Norton
anti-virus on my machine, and use Panda as the AV. The extreme hassle and
time-wasting of unloading & reloading Norton products has gotten the better of
me. If the product gives me good excuses to ditch it, I will. Panda is a poor
choice on my machine though. It seems to always be doing something in the
background every little while and anything I'm doing comes to a freezing halt
until its done doing its background task.

BTW, NSW 2003 is no longer supported as of September 8th, 2004. Their update may
have killed your product outright.

Cymbal Man Freq.

stick with the intelligent updater for a month or more until tech support gets
enough complaints to actually post a fix that doesn't include the words
"uninstall & reinstall all of your Norton products"

randau

Cymbal said:
stick with the intelligent updater for a month or more until tech
support gets enough complaints to actually post a fix that doesn't
include the words "uninstall & reinstall all of your Norton products"
That sounds like good advise. It's interesting to see that the same
problem occurs in a still supported NSW 2004. I thought maybe it was
occurring in my NSW 2003 because it was no longer being supported.
That might explain why I could find nothing about it in the NSW 2003
Knowledge Data Base, but when I searched the 2004 data base there was
an article on the LU1856 error which also had links to other solution
approaches to the problem. I read through them all, but some of the
directions didn't match my no longer supported NSW 2003 file
structure. So I also reverted to using the Intelligent Updater.

And yes, their so cavalier about saying "uninstall & reinstall your
Norton products" as if it were trivial. But, it's really a time
consuming pain in the ass.

randau

Cymbal said:
BTW, NSW 2003 is no longer supported as of September 8th, 2004.
Their update may have killed your product outright.

Yes, I had the same thought. It's bad enough that they discontinue
support of their products a year or two after they've been released.
But, you'd think they'd at least warn you of a LiveUpdate program
update that's going to compromise the functionality of their no longer
supported products. Or better yet, don't even offer the LiveUpdates
to their no longer supported products that are susceptible to being
corrupted by them. One would think they ought to do at least that
much out of respect for people still using their older products.

Buffalo

randau said:
Yes, I had the same thought. It's bad enough that they discontinue
support of their products a year or two after they've been released.
But, you'd think they'd at least warn you of a LiveUpdate program
update that's going to compromise the functionality of their no longer
supported products. Or better yet, don't even offer the LiveUpdates
to their no longer supported products that are susceptible to being
corrupted by them. One would think they ought to do at least that
much out of respect for people still using their older products.

I use NSW2003Pro and have no problems receiving updates through Live Update.

Pam

Randau: I recently update to Live Update 2.5 and I'm running
an unsupported version of NIS 2003. I haven't had any
problems with my recently updated version of live update. I
see that you posted to Symantec.support... have you tried
Symantec.CustomerSupport.General? Don't know if it will help,
but I remember some discussion about the new 2.5 version
discussed there. I don't believe it was about problems or
error messages, but you might find something there.

Good Luck,

Pam

Pam said:
Randau: I recently update to Live Update 2.5 and I'm running
an unsupported version of NIS 2003.

What is NIS?
I haven't had any
problems with my recently updated version of live update. I
see that you posted to Symantec.support... have you tried
Symantec.CustomerSupport.General?

I have now. Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware of that newsgroup.
Don't know if it will help,
but I remember some discussion about the new 2.5 version
discussed there. I don't believe it was about problems or
error messages, but you might find something there.

Good Luck,

Pam

Thanks Pam,
-randau

Buffalo

randau said:

Did you do a Program LiveUpdate to LiveUpdate 2.5?

I'm not sure, and right now I can't seem to find out what version it is.

Pam

Norton Internet Security...

| "Pam" <phfloresatverizondotnet> wrote in message
| > Randau: I recently update to Live Update 2.5 and I'm
running
| > an unsupported version of NIS 2003.
|
| What is NIS?
|
| > I haven't had any
| > problems with my recently updated version of live update.
| > see that you posted to Symantec.support... have you tried
| > Symantec.CustomerSupport.General?
|
| I have now. Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware of that
newsgroup.

| > Don't know if it will help,
| > but I remember some discussion about the new 2.5 version
| > discussed there. I don't believe it was about problems or
| > error messages, but you might find something there.
| >
| > Good Luck,
| >
| > Pam
|
| Thanks Pam,
| -randau

randau

Buffalo said:
I'm not sure, and right now I can't seem to find out what version it is.

Do a right click on any of its .EXE files and click PROPERTIES and then
click the VERSION tab.

Buffalo

randau said:

Do a right click on any of its .EXE files and click PROPERTIES and then
click the VERSION tab.

Yep, should of thought of that. I do have the 2.5 version of LiveUpdate.

randau

Thanks for all your replies. Just this morning Symantec's little
yellow message box appeared over its system tray icon telling me that
my Virus Definitions have been automatically updated. So, I launched
my NSW-2003 and the Virus Definitions date indicated 11/4/2004. My
last "Intelligent Updater" update was 10/29/2004, so I guess it's
working again. But, I don't know why. Maybe Symantec did something
in that last auto-download that corrected the problem. Has anyone
else's LiveUpdate come back to life? If not automatically, try
running your LiveUpdate again.

Ian Kenefick

randau said:
Thanks for all your replies. Just this morning Symantec's little
yellow message box appeared over its system tray icon telling me that
my Virus Definitions have been automatically updated. So, I launched
my NSW-2003 and the Virus Definitions date indicated 11/4/2004. My
last "Intelligent Updater" update was 10/29/2004, so I guess it's
working again. But, I don't know why. Maybe Symantec did something
in that last auto-download that corrected the problem. Has anyone
else's LiveUpdate come back to life? If not automatically, try
running your LiveUpdate again.

Great, you got it sorted! Next time try Kaspersky Antivirus, F-Secure or
NOD32. Fewer problems and great support!

Ian Kenefick

<Contact Me>
WEB - www.IK-CS.com
e-mail - (e-mail address removed)

<USENET>
remove "no-spam_" from my address when replying.

Ian Kenefick

randau said:
Thanks for all your replies. Just this morning Symantec's little
yellow message box appeared over its system tray icon telling me that
my Virus Definitions have been automatically updated. So, I launched
my NSW-2003 and the Virus Definitions date indicated 11/4/2004. My
last "Intelligent Updater" update was 10/29/2004, so I guess it's
working again. But, I don't know why. Maybe Symantec did something
in that last auto-download that corrected the problem. Has anyone
else's LiveUpdate come back to life? If not automatically, try
running your LiveUpdate again.

Great, you got it sorted! Next time try Kaspersky Antivirus, F-Secure or
NOD32. Fewer problems and great support! Nothing at all wrong with
seeking help from USENET but when you pay for a license to use a product
you should get support! Symantecs support is brutal. They actually
charge for individual cases. The product is shit and the best support
they could ever give you is suggesting any of the vendors I have
mentioned above.

Ian Kenefick

<Contact Me>
WEB - www.IK-CS.com
e-mail - (e-mail address removed)

<USENET>
remove "no-spam_" from my address when replying.

Sunny

randau said:
Thanks for all your replies. Just this morning Symantec's little
yellow message box appeared over its system tray icon telling me that
my Virus Definitions have been automatically updated. So, I launched
my NSW-2003 and the Virus Definitions date indicated 11/4/2004. My
last "Intelligent Updater" update was 10/29/2004, so I guess it's
working again. But, I don't know why. Maybe Symantec did something
in that last auto-download that corrected the problem. Has anyone
else's LiveUpdate come back to life? If not automatically, try
running your LiveUpdate again.

Manually ran Live update for Norton AV 2003 today.
Two updates were downloaded:
1. Virus definitions,
2. Product update.
Live update froze during "install" so I ran it again and "unticked" the
product update.
Definitions were updated OK, but, for the product update part ??
error ? LU1827 is mentioned, anyone have the same problem ?

randau

Sunny said:
Manually ran Live update for Norton AV 2003 today.
Two updates were downloaded:
1. Virus definitions,
2. Product update.
Live update froze during "install" so I ran it again and "unticked" the
product update.
Definitions were updated OK, but, for the product update part ??
error ? LU1827 is mentioned, anyone have the same problem ?

Did the Product update description say LiveReg/LiveUpdate 2.5? If so,
that's the one that caused the problems I had on two different
computers.