Little Confused!

Reaction score
Hello there,

Hope someone can give me some advice - I'm about to upgrade my computer and there's a couple of things I'm a bit unsure about.

I intend to get an ATI 128mb Radeon 9800PRO graphics card
and AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Socket A Barton Tray Processor and either a:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard
OR
Abit NF7-S Socket A Motherboard
Does anyone know which of these 2 is better/preferable?

Also I'm clueless as to which memory I should get and which is compatible. I don't really know the difference between PC4000 and PC3700 for instance. I thought of maybe getting 2 sticks of Patriot 512MB PC4000 or possibly a pair of Corsair 512MB PC4000 500MHz TwinX Dual-Channel DDR Memory 184Pin.
Any ideas?

Please help this is giving me a headache!

Thanks very much!

Reaction score
I have used the Abit NF7-S v2.0 M/b before - its really quite good!

Looking at them both, it dosent seem like theres much in it, personally if i had to choose between the 2 right here, right now, i'd take the Gigabyte.

The 9800pro and XP3000+ look pretty good

i think the 3000 is a 400FSB processor so you will need DDR400 memory to go with it.

IF you are not going to overclock, dont buy anything more than PC3200 memory because if you get PC4400, it can only run at PC3200 speeds...

If you want some good RAM, then get some corsair PC3200 DDR400 - they probably have a "Dual channel kit" with a couple of 256mb sticks in. That should do ya.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The AMD 3000+ is a 333fsb CPU

What memory does the motherboard manufacturer recommend ???

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm using two Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 motherboards at the moment, one has an XP3200 with 2 sticks of Crucial 512 PC3200, the other has an XP 2600 with two sticks of Corsair 256 PC2700, both running in dual memory mode.

The Gigabyte is a fine board, well built and stable, I liked the first one so much I went and bought another :D The dual Bios thing is good as well and Bios upgrading is a cinch, totally automatic.

Having said that, it's a lousy board for overclocking if that's your thing. You can overclock using the hardware monitor software, but it will revert to stock on reboot.

The Abit board is also a good board, I almost got one of those myself, and much easier to overclock, so, both good choices. Would your budget stretch to £105.00 for an XP3200? Runs at 2.2Ghz and is 400 fsb. It also runs hot, so you'll need a decent cooler.

Reaction score
I've done a few little calculations and I think I could afford to get a 3200xp so I think I'll go for one of those - are the fans that come with these any good or should I go for something else (I thought maybe an Akasa Carnival Cooler)

Reaction score
My advice would be to stick with the Retail package (stock cooler) unless you are overclocking.

Its good, quiet, does everything you need. Saves a lot of hassle too.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
My advice would be to stick with the Retail package (stock cooler) unless you are overclocking.

I'll second that

... if AMD fitted the wrong HSF, wouldn't their reputation go down the hill?

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

:thumb:

Yep, I'd agree with that. Bear in mind though that the retail package of that CPU, which includes cooler (heatsink/fan) will be a little more expensive, probably about £125 to £135.

Reaction score
:thumb: Thanks for all your advice - one last thing (I think) would a 400W psu be enough for all of this or would I need something a little more powerful?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MediumRob said:
:thumb: Thanks for all your advice - one last thing (I think) would a 400W psu be enough for all of this or would I need something a little more powerful?
Should be OK, as long as you get a decent PSU. Don't be tempted by a cheapie, they're a false economy and rarely deliver the quoted current.

Brand names such as Antec & Enermax are good.

Reaction score
Talking of PSUs.. Is it tactically sound to get a high rateing PSU?...

Well what i mean is if i dont have many components in my system.. sure a 300w PSU will do... BUT if i intend to upgrade... would it make any difference having a high wattage PSU??

Basically i suppose what im asking is... What is the right wattage PSU to install..... Is there any danger in frying anything if its to high??

Please excuse my ignorance

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
spooks, no danger of frying anything ;) Generally, the bigger the better, you can never have enough power sitting there in reserve. The computer will only take the power it needs.

300W is fine for your average system, but add an extra optical drive, another hard disc, a high end graphics card, current requirements begin to add up.

I'd say an 'entry level' PSU should be 400W, which may possibly be more than you need but it's good to know the extra power is there should you wish to add components in the future.

As I mentioned before, skimping on the PSU is a false economy, it supplies power for your whole system. You wouldn't starve your pet cat or dog, why starve your computer?

Reaction score
The more expensive power supplies generally have the added feature of not sounding like an Antonov 125 Mirriya on take off...

also they treat your bits nicer too

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Finn said:
I found this little tool while surfing one day, hope it helps

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Bare in mind that it does say minimum power supply
I think that's a good guide myself.

It has been criticised for being a little 'over the top' in it's recommendations but bear in mind those ratings are given assuming every single component is running on full tilt simultaneously.

You could probably get away with a little less but as a 'rough guide' that facility is a good thing, imo.

Ask a Question