Linux for a charity

Reaction score
I look after some computers for a charity and am considering installing linux on one or two to give it a try.

1. Which distro should I use?
2. which browser will give the best IE lookalike?
3. what security software is needed.

4. Given that the PCs are mainly used for internet access and not office type activities if they get a virus then a reinstall is not too onerous. Any comment on this strategy?

5. The machines are connected individually to a common hub for broadband access and the XP ones have shared folders. Is it possible to share folders between Linux and windows?

An answer to any or all of these would be much appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
cantthinkofanickname said:
I look after some computers for a charity and am considering installing linux on one or two to give it a try.
You can always learn new things if you are willing to try 'em out ... ;)

1. Which distro should I use?
One that you like, but more importent, the PC likes ... However, I can suggest;
Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Mandriva and Suse ... Ubuntu is primerily a Gnome desktop environment ... Kubuntu is a KDE desktop environment ... they are different. ;) Mandriva & Suse are KDE orinated, but all Linux can use other "window" envionments. I suggeat using one with KDE, it is more like Windows.

2. which browser will give the best IE lookalike?
Thunderbird is so much like IE, it is hard to tell the difference.

3. what security software is needed.
None! ... no, I'm serious, you do not "need" any AV program, though you may, if you wish install one ... you do not "need" any anti-spyware/maleware/nastie ware or any such "Windows" protection ... Linux is NOT Windows. :thumb:

4. Given that the PCs are mainly used for Internet access and not office type activities if they get a virus then a reinstall is not too onerous. Any comment on this strategy?
See comment above ... :D

5. The machines are connected individually to a common hub for broadband access and the XP ones have shared folders. Is it possible to share folders between Linux and windows?
Yes. I recommend Samba.

An answer to any or all of these would be much appreciated.
Linux is NOT Windows, be prepared to learn how the Linux OS works, to a point.

I am no expert on Linux but it does all I need my PCs to do without having to resort to 10 added extra programs to protect and or to survive the Internet. Best of all ... it's free. ;)

Feel free to ask as many questions as you feel you need ... I may not be able to give you specific answers to the Linux of choice, but I know an Internet that can. :D

Ask a Question