Links Won't open Properly

Tom

Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in a
message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program to open
the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default browser. Fixes,
clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Roady [MVP]

Reset FF to you default browser or set IE as the default and then FF again.
Sounds like FF didn't register itself properly as the default browser.

Tom

I have done that, and somehow when I went into program defaults (Control
Panel/Default Programs), I have to have it set to IE or it won't open under
Protocols HTTP HTTPS FTP. I can get it to work this way, but only in IE.
Funny though, both browser say they are the default. When I go into the
access panel to choose which program to use to open the above protocols,
only IE is available. I can set FF as the default for all un "Set your
default programs", but then that brings back my problem again.

To add; if I set FF using SYDP, under the protocols listed above, it says
the program is unknown under them (as well as the other that do not affect
WM or Outlook.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
Tom said:
Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in a
message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program to
open the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default
browser. Fixes, clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Roady [MVP]

The fact that you can't select FF as your default browser suggests that
there is something wrong with your FF installation. Uninstall it, download
the latest version available and install it again.

--

Tom said:
Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in a
message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program to
open the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default
browser. Fixes, clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

what is configured in set programs access under the default programs applet?

Tom said:
Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in a
message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program to
open the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default
browser. Fixes, clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom

Read my last reply, it gives the answer to your question.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in a
message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program to
open the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default
browser. Fixes, clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

There are multiple options under Default programs. You appeared to say to
set the default programs option - I wanted to know if you checked the last
one, called 'Set program access... '. It's used to choose non-Microsoft
programs, such as browser, mail, media player, and instant messenger
programs as the default and to enable access to them.

Also note, this is not an Outlook or Mail problem - it's a Vista
configuration problem.

Tom said:
I have done that, and somehow when I went into program defaults (Control
Panel/Default Programs), I have to have it set to IE or it won't open
under Protocols HTTP HTTPS FTP. I can get it to work this way, but only
in IE. Funny though, both browser say they are the default. When I go
into the access panel to choose which program to use to open the above
protocols, only IE is available. I can set FF as the default for all un
"Set your default programs", but then that brings back my problem again.

To add; if I set FF using SYDP, under the protocols listed above, it
says the program is unknown under them (as well as the other that do not
affect WM or Outlook.

in message Reset FF to you default browser or set IE as the default and then FF
again. Sounds like FF didn't register itself properly as the default
browser.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in
a message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program
to open the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default
browser. Fixes, clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom

Then why do you reply if this is ONLY a Vista OS issue? The problems I have
result from the experiences I have in Outlook and WM. Again, read inline, I
already said what I did in the settings using ALL categories. I also know
what all of the settings categories do in the Default Access program. It
seems you're not familiar with how Vista's Default Access works since you
are not using Vista.

Program Access is for setting certain program as the general default, but
not necessarily the complete default, whereas "Set your program defaults"
does exactly that for any program in the list, and then you can choose what
that program controls in particular that can be associated to it, if you
don't want it to control everything it can in totality. That is a far cry
more involved than any previous Windows OS I have used.

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote in message
Reset FF to you default browser or set IE as the default and then FF
again. Sounds like FF didn't register itself properly as the default
browser.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
Hi,

I cannot get links to open in Windows Mail. When I click on a link in
a message, nothing happens. In Outlook 2007, it asks me what program
to open the link with, either Firefox or IE. I have FF as my default
browser. Fixes, clues, etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

[Adding Vista.general in hopes someone can help you since you don't seem to
want to post there yourself. To recap, links won't open in firefox.]

I keep replying because you keep posting in the outlook groups... and I am
using Vista. I own several computers and Vista is installed on some. It's
not on my main production machine, a tablet pc, because there aren't drivers
available for my EVDO modem yet.