Links in Newsgroup Notice emails not working

Bob Day

Not sure where to post this question...please move it there is a better place
for it.

I post alot of questions to many different MS forums and newsgroups (I am a
developer). When someone responds, i get an email like this:

"A Microsoft Community member has responded to your question entitled
"ASP net version" . Please read the response and indicate whether it answered
your question or not. By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the
answer more quickly, you give the person who posted the answer credit for
their contribution, and you help increase the quality of answers in the
discussion group. Read and rate the response"

where the last sentence is a link. However, when I click the link, IE &
connects to a URL, but noting is displayed. The email does not indicate the
newsgroup or forum, so I actually do a google seard on the subject I
originally entered (in quotes above).

Any idea why this is not working? It sure makes things easy when it it does
work. By the way, if I copy the URL from IE7 to FireFox I have the same
problem.

Thanks
Bob

Shenan Stanley

Bob said:
[...]

I cannot help beyond suggesting you stop using the Web Interface (which is
horrible) for the newsgroups and use a proper newsreader application (or at
least Outlook Express or Windows Mail...)

Outlook Express:
How to Configure Outlook Express for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171164

How to Subscribe to Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190

A little more detail...

Windows Mail (Windows Vista):
http://www.web-articles.info/e/a/title/Windows-Vista:-How-to-Read-News-with-Windows-Mail/

Setting Up Windows Mail to Read Newsgroups

When you set up Windows Mail for e-mail, it automatically sets itself up
with a news account for the Microsoft Communities newsgroups. This account
gives you access to a wide range of Microsoft related newsgroups. For wider
reading, you'll probably want to set Windows Mail up to read newsgroups
provided by your ISP or another online service provider. To set up Windows
Mail to read newsgroups, take the following steps:

1. Open Windows Mail as usual for example, choose Start E-mail.
2. Choose Tools Accounts. Windows Mail displays the Internet Accounts dialog
box.
3.Click the Add button. Windows Mail displays the Select Account Type screen
..
4. Select the Newsgroup Account item, and then click the Next button.
Windows Mail displays the Your Name screen.
5. In the Display Name text box, type the name you want to use for your
posts. Depending on whether you'll be posting personally or professionally,
you may want to use a pseudonym or a variation of your name.
6. Click the Next button. Windows Mail displays the Internet News E-mail
Address screen.
7. In the E-mail Address text box, type the e-mail address that you want to
use for your posts. You may want to use a variation of your real e-mail
address to throw off spammers.
8. Click the Next button. The wizard displays the Internet News Server Name
screen.
9. Type the name of your news server in the News NNTP Server text box. If
you don't know the name, consult your ISP.
10. If you need to log on to the news server, select the My News Server
Requires Me to Log On check box. Many news servers don't require you to log
on.
11. Click the Next button. If you didn't select the check box in the
previous step, the wizard displays its Congratulations page. Go to step 13.
12. If you did select the My News Server Requires Me to Log On check box,
the wizard displays the Internet News Server Logon screen. Enter your
account name and password. Select the Remember Password check box if you
think the convenience of not having to enter the password outweighs the
marginal risk of storing it. Then click the Next button. The wizard displays
the Congratulations page.
13.Click the Finish button. The wizard closes, returning you to the Internet
Accounts dialog box.
14. Click the Close button. Windows Mail displays the Subscribe to
Newsgroups dialog box.
15. Click the appropriate button:

.. If you want to use Windows Mail's Communities features which include the
ability to see message ratings and rankings and download a list of
newsgroups, click the Show Available Newsgroups and Turn on Communities
button. At this writing, many newsgroups do not support Communities, and in
others, the Communities features appear not to be fully implemented - but
matters may have improved by the time you read this.

.. If you just want to download a list of newsgroups, click the Show
Available Newsgroups, but Don't Turn on Communities button.

.. If you don't want to download the list of newsgroups now, click the Don't
Download Newsgroups Now button. You'll need to download the list of
newsgroups at some point, but if you're currently using a dial-up
connection, you might prefer to leave the download until later.

16.If you chose to download the newsgroups, Windows Mail displays the
Downloading Newsgroups dialog box while it downloads them.

Searching for OLDER postings/answers?
http://groups.google.com/

Tim Slattery

Bob Day said:
Not sure where to post this question...please move it there is a better place
for it.

I post alot of questions to many different MS forums and newsgroups (I am a
developer). When someone responds, i get an email like this:

"A Microsoft Community member has responded to your question entitled
"ASP net version" . Please read the response and indicate whether it answered
your question or not. By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the
answer more quickly, you give the person who posted the answer credit for
their contribution, and you help increase the quality of answers in the
discussion group. Read and rate the response"

Some websites suck content from these groups and send out emails to
OPs when somebody responds to a post. They want you to go to their
site (and see their ads) to read the response.
where the last sentence is a link. However, when I click the link, IE &
connects to a URL, but noting is displayed.

So the website is not working correctly
The email does not indicate the newsgroup or forum,

Of course not. They want you to go to their site, they don't want to
make it easy to find the response any other way.

Set up Outlook Express to use the MS news server
(msnews.microsoft.com), or get a better, third-party newsreader
(Agent, www.forteinc.com/agent ; Thunderbird,
www.mozilla.org/thunderbird ; or others)