Link to file using data from another file in link to

Reaction score
I want to link workbook 1 to another workbook(s) 2, and within this link I want to include a date as set by workbook 1. Thereby the link will automatically look up the correct workbook 2 which the date in workbook 1 relates to.

ie
Workbook 1 with the date 31.08.06 in cell A1 will link to workbook 31.08.06 B1

So B1 in workbook 1 will return =workbook 31.08.06 B1.
I've tried ="workbook "&'workbook 1'!A1&"!B1" but it does not seem to reconginse this as a formula.

Is this possible?

Thanks
James

Reaction score
Open both workbooks, click in one cell, put =
Switch to another workbook, select cell you want.
Press green check.

Reaction score
Date linking cells

Thanks,

The point of this is the linking to the date cell in workbook 1. By updating the date I want the formula to update automatically in the work book. I have loads of formulas that need updating this way (mostly vlookups), and that need to look at various dates all of which I don't want to be updating on a weekly basis.

Cheers

Reaction score
You can break links (Edit/Link) and will never get updated, or you can leave and every time decide if you want to update cells or not.

bw

Reaction score
Date linking to another file

Cheers Grof.

Still not solved the problem!!! In my workbook is following

1 2 3 4
Date Formula
A 271006 c:/1006/271006 numbers file.xls
B 031106 c:/1106/031106 numbers file.xls
C 101106 c:/1106/101106 numbers file.xls
D
E

This continues for the full year, and is applicable on multiple tabs and rows. Therefore I want the formula for this week to be "c:/1106/"(Cell C1)" numbers file.xls". So that going forward I can just copy the formula down each week without having to find and replace the date part.

Cheers

Ask a Question