Licensing Costs

Bill

Does anyone know where a DEFINITIVE cost table/matrix for
licensing Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 can be
found? It seems that you have to jump through hoops and
sell your first-born child to obtain such simple
information. All I need to know is, what are the costs
associated with licensing these operating systems for use
in a small business environment of 27 PCs with Windows XP
and 1 server with Windows Server 2003 installed?

Any ideas from the community?

Thank you in advance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows Server 2003 Pricing
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx

Microsoft Volume Licensing
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx

Microsoft Licensing Sites Worldwide
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Bill" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Does anyone know where a DEFINITIVE cost table/matrix for
| licensing Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 can be
| found? It seems that you have to jump through hoops and
| sell your first-born child to obtain such simple
| information. All I need to know is, what are the costs
| associated with licensing these operating systems for use
| in a small business environment of 27 PCs with Windows XP
| and 1 server with Windows Server 2003 installed?
|
| Any ideas from the community?
|
| Thank you in advance.

Adam Turner

This might be what you're looking for:

http://members.microsoft.com/partner/salesmarketing/PartnerMarket/ActionPack/
Adam Turner

Does anyone know where a DEFINITIVE cost table/matrix for
licensing Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 can be
found? It seems that you have to jump through hoops and
sell your first-born child to obtain such simple
information. All I need to know is, what are the costs
associated with licensing these operating systems for use
in a small business environment of 27 PCs with Windows XP
and 1 server with Windows Server 2003 installed?

Any ideas from the community?

Thank you in advance.

Woody

hey adam , you seem like a nice guy , is there any chance you might turn off
the html ?

Carey

Thank you kindly for the information. I'm wondering why, after sifting through the support website for a solid 20 minutes and inputting "licensing costs" into the search application, that I couldn't find anything definitive on my own. The information you have provided is helpful, yet Microsoft is typically cryptic with regard to "cut-and-dry" explanations. There are several licensing "plans" to choose from. Why don't they just say, very simply, look - this is what it will cost to outfit your business with 1 server - this is what it will cost to outfit with one workstation using WinXP. Then, any third-grader with marginal mathematical insight (like myself) could precisely figure out the costs for their business environment. Why is it always a friggin' guessing game

In addition, the notion of licensing is a complete rip-off to the consumer. I can understand making the consumer purchase one piece of software per each workstation or server. Let's face it - it's not fair to the developers and distributors to copy software in an attempt to avoid rightful purchasing. But we're not talking about piracy here. We're talking about consumers who have already purchased the software and now have to get raked over the coals with outrageous fees every year or two - just to have the "right" to use the product

Why can't the paper industry do the same thing. Let's say that 3M or Hammermill decides, "Ya know, you can buy our paper - but you're also going to have to pay a fee to use the paper for business purposes." I mean, heck - we certainly can't have people profiting off of OUR intellectual property. Christ, a lot of ingenuity went into the design and production of the 8 1/2" x 11" kindling that your marketing plan is printed on. What about the furniture industry? I mean, jeez - we gotta give those boys who design and produce the office chairs, desks and partitions some extra money for sitting our fat asses down on their furniture in the process of typing reports and answering phones

Anyway, since I already know that you can't create a post like this without someone outside of the original thread flaming you, I'll await the immature comments about me personally instead of comments about the content of the post. It'll be entertaining reading nonetheless

Carey, thanks again for the information -- I still have to figure out what it's going to cost me EXACTLY

Bill

kurttrail

Woody said:
hey adam , you seem like a nice guy , is there any chance you might
turn off the html ?

Haven't figured out how to turn it off for yourself?

--
Peace!
Kurt