Licensing and Sysprep

I am new to an organization that deploys PC's without using sysprep, just Norton Ghost. This, obviously, duplicates SID's. But what impact will this have when upgrading the network to Windows 2000/2003 and ADS

This all came about because of licensing costs related to Norton Ghost. Will deploying an image that used Ghost to a hundred systems require a hundred licenses? Or would it be just one license, since there is only one image, when using sysprep

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

When you clone a Windows NT/2000/XP installation to many computers,
the destination computers have the same SID and computer name as the source
Windows installation. Because Windows NT/2000/XP networks use each computer's
SID and computer name to uniquely identify the computer on the network, you must
change the SID and computer name on each destination (client) computer after cloning.

Visit:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...=2003 for windows 2000/nt/me/98&osv=&osv_lvl=

You should be using Volume Licensing when using Ghost or Sysprep.

How to Use Sysprep: An Introduction
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/introduction.asp

How to Use Sysprep with Windows Product Activation or Volume License Media to Deploy Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299840&Product=winxp

Description of the Windows XP Corporate Deployment Tools and Documentation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880&Product=winxp

How to Use Sysprep with Windows Product Activation or Volume License Media to Deploy Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299840&Product=winxp

How to Use Sysprep for Auditing Installations
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/auditing.asp

Deploying Windows XP
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Install/deploy.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"NC1165" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I am new to an organization that deploys PC's without using sysprep, just Norton Ghost. This, obviously,
duplicates SID's. But what impact will this have when upgrading the network to Windows 2000/2003 and ADS?

| This all came about because of licensing costs related to Norton Ghost. Will deploying an image that used
Ghost to a hundred systems require a hundred licenses? Or would it be just one license, since there is only
one image, when using sysprep?

| Thanks,

NobodyMan

I am new to an organization that deploys PC's without using sysprep, just Norton Ghost. This, obviously, duplicates SID's. But what impact will this have when upgrading the network to Windows 2000/2003 and ADS?

This all came about because of licensing costs related to Norton Ghost. Will deploying an image that used Ghost to a hundred systems require a hundred licenses? Or would it be just one license, since there is only one image, when using sysprep?

Thanks,
It will have a huge impact when you try to put those systems with
identical names, and more importantly, identical SIDs onto your
domain. It plain just won't work. You MUST change the SID prior to
joining the machine to the domain.

I've never used Sysprep to do this; we use a different utility called
NewSID.

As for the licensiing concerns with Ghost, I can't help you there.
I'm not responsible for buying and licensing the software we use; that
is another group's job in our company.