Lexmark Z45 on Windows XP SP2 not being shared properly

Bradley Robinson

Prior to installation of Service Pack 2 (final build) for Windows XP, the
Lexmark Z45 on a Windows XP SP1 computer could be shared just fine with a
system running Windows Me. After installation of SP2, the WinMe system
cannot communicate with the printer. The host system can print to the
Lexmark just fine, however.

The behavior occurs with or without the Windows Firewall being enabled as
well as with the older custom driver or the newer system driver for the
printer installed.

Not a serious issue, You do an uninstall on on ME machine and then re-map
the printer on ME.

Bradley Robinson

I've tried this multiple times with various configuration differences. The
last time I tried it with the XP firwall off and rebooted the machine and
logged back in just to make sure the firewall was definately off. I
uninstalled the software and drivers from the ME system, rebooted,
reinstalled the software, and reconfigured the shared printer and then
rebooted that system. Upon reboot, the Lexmark software is still claiming
"Communiction Not Available" as well as the cartridges being Invalid.
Normally, it would retrieve cartridge information from the XP system.
Attempts at printing result in a "Communication Not Available" dialog from
the Lexmark software.

The printer has always shown up as being shared on both ends and file
sharing sill works without a hitch, but I'm afraid SP2 changed something
that prevents the Lexmark software from responding to the other system, and
this may be preventing printing from there.

Bradley Robinson

I have resolved my issue by uninstalling Service Pack 2. As soon as the
system booted using SP1, the printer began working properly with the ME
system. Therefore, I must wait for a) a revised SP2 that does not prevent
sharing of the Lexmark printer or b) Lexmark to update their software/driver
to resolve the issue. I'm not really holding my breath for either, so I'm
going to have to stay with SP1 until I either no longer need to share the
printer or this printer breaks down and I obtain and SP2 compatible one.

Bradley Robinson

Lexmark tech-support has informed me (quite to my surprise) that printing
from Win98/Me to Win2000/XP is not supported due to the use of different
operating system dependant data streams. The fact that it would work fine in
SP1 before SP2 and after reverting back to SP1 must be some miracle.

They suggested I buy a network adapter that costs more than a brand-new
printer ;)

Alan Morris(MSFT) said:
I forwarded this to the print team from Lexmark here on MS campus. They
may
already know of this.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

rights.

Bradley Robinson said:
I have resolved my issue by uninstalling Service Pack 2. As soon as the
system booted using SP1, the printer began working properly with the ME
system. Therefore, I must wait for a) a revised SP2 that does not prevent
sharing of the Lexmark printer or b) Lexmark to update their software/driver
to resolve the issue. I'm not really holding my breath for either, so I'm
going to have to stay with SP1 until I either no longer need to share the
printer or this printer breaks down and I obtain and SP2 compatible one.

with enabled

Alan Morris\(MSFT\)

do not drink the kool-aid.

The print devs here tracked this down and the Lexmark devs also worked on
this. More info coming soon with an update.

Bradley I will contact you directly.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Bradley Robinson said:
[...]

Hi,

:

Prior to installation of Service Pack 2 (final build) for Windows
XP,
the
Lexmark Z45 on a Windows XP SP1 computer could be shared just fine with
system running Windows Me. After installation of SP2, the WinMe system
cannot communicate with the printer. The host system can print to
the
Lexmark just fine, however.

The behavior occurs with or without the Windows Firewall being enabled
as
well as with the older custom driver or the newer system driver
for
the
printer installed.

Eric Heeke

Alan,

I have exactly the same problem as described by Bradley except with a
Lexmark X5150. Do you have any new information on this issue since
your last posting? The Lexmark tech support has been no help to me at
all.

Thanks,
Eric Heeke

Alan Morris(MSFT) said:
[...]

I have not been following this. I'll ping the Lexmark team here and get
back to you.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Bradley Robinson said:
[...]

I got some data from Lexmark. They are still investigating this but they
have a solution. Let us know if this solution works for you.

When we apply Service Pack 2 to a Windows XP machine, peer-to-peer
printing no longer functions correctly. We notice that our DCOM
application (which runs as a service) gets launched, but the remote
client gets an 'access denied' error (5) when it tries to use the
interface. We did some investigation with DCOMCNFG and noticed that we
were able to print when the machine-wide settings were modified as
follows:
DCOMCNFG- > 'Configure my Computer' button -> COM Security -> 'Access
Permissions' Edit Limits -> 'Remote Access' for Everyone=checked.

Prior to the change, the allow and deny settings for Remote Access were
blank, which we understood to mean that the application's settings were
to be used. This leads us to our question: From a DCOM point of view,
what is the exact meaning of the new 'Security Limits' part of DCOMCNFG
and what does it mean if a particular field is blank (that is, neither
Allow or Deny is checked)?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Bradley Robinson said:
[...]

Using DCOMCNFG I found the settings listed in the Lexmark info.
Contrary to their find, I found that the 'Remote Access' setting for
'Everyone' was already checked to 'Allow' on my XP PC. There was a
similar setting for 'Anonymous Logon' for which I did check the
'Allow' local and remote access. Even with all 'Allow' boxes check,
my remote computer could not communicate with the printer on the XP
machine. (I did reboot between each setting change to ensure that the
setting was in place.)

I even tried one test with all of the 'Allow' and 'Deny' boxes left
unchecked, but that did help either.

Thanks for the attempt. I'm ready to test anything else that they may
suggest.

Eric

Eric Heeke said:
[...]

from then