Let's talk about ownership!

geotso

According Help and Support Center (winXP Pro SP2):
"When an object is created, the person creating the object automatically
becomes its owner. Administrators create and own most objects in Active
Directory and on network servers when installing programs on the server.
Users create and own data files in their home directories and some data
files on network servers."

However this is mostly lie:
As an administrator, the last two years I've created a few... thousands of
folders/files (including those copied/pasted/renamed etc. from CDs and
DVDs), all saved in D:, E:, F:, and G: partitions of the second Disk.

Well, yesterday I found out that the owner of those folders is ... my son
Nick (he has its own account with Limited permissions)!

So, here come the questions:

1. Do the Windows store the assigned permissions of each folder in a
database like file, or each folder is "marked" with its own properties?
For example, the owner of the folder D:\Studio\NickData is the user "Nick"
and he has full control permissions, while another user "Tery" has
read/write only permissions. Will the D:\Studio\NickData folder keep the
same permissions, regardless of how many times I format drive C: and
(clean-)install windowsXP?

2. As I said, the owner of the folders is the user "Nick". How to give the
ownership to another user "Tery"? (He is my second son, and he is very
jealous too). :)

According Help and Support Center :
"The current owner can grant the Take ownership permission to another user,
allowing that user to take ownership at any time. The user must actually
take ownership to complete the transfer."

However I can't find the corresponding article that explain that process :-(

3. Furthermore, what will happen if I want to change the owner of some
hundreds of folders? Will I have to do it manually for each one of them or,
when I'll change a folder's owner, all subfolders will be changed as well?

Sorry for the long post and my awful english!!!

Thanks

David Candy

The security is tied to the security manager. Delete windows and Nick and Terry turn into long numbers and won't be the same numbers that a new install will give. They will become unknown (and thus unallowed) users. They will have the same permissions but the permissions are meaningless as there is no user to match.

You can't give ownership. Only take it. This stops you peeking at others files and covering your tracks. Same place as advanced file peermissions.

Ownership doesn't really matter as long as you have permissions. You specify in the dialog what to do.

XP can be configured in Local Security Policy to make the Admin group the owner for files created by admins.

geotso

--
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
The security is tied to the security manager. Delete windows and Nick and
Terry turn into long numbers and won't be the same numbers that a new
install will give. They will become unknown (and thus unallowed) users. They
will have the same permissions but the permissions are meaningless as there
is no user to match.

I'm not sure I understand...
According my previous example the user "Terry" has read/write permissions on
folder NickData. After the new installation the user "Terry" will have Full
control permissions? (Please note that the folder NickData is located in the
(second) drive D: and not in C: which will be formated for the clean
installation. Also note that after each installation I always creater two
user accounts "Nick" and "Terry").

You can't give ownership. Only take it. This stops you peeking at others
files and covering your tracks. Same place as advanced file peermissions.

Do you mean Advanced Security settings dialog box?

-- If you do, in the "Change owner to:" field of the Owner tab, there are
only two names: The group Administrators and my name (geotso) as of group of
Administrators. How to add the name of another user (according my example
the name "Terry"), so I can then set it as the owner?

-- If you don't, please be more specific.

Ownership doesn't really matter as long as you have permissions. You specify
in the dialog what to do.

XP can be configured in Local Security Policy to make the Admin group the
owner for files created by admins.

Where can I find instructions on how to do this?

Thank you for your assistance