LDAP and Outlook Address Book

Why won't my Outlook 2003 check addresses (Ctrl-K) against my Win2k AD LDAP
directory when I'm entering recipients to messages? I have configured the
LDAP directory as an OAB, I can Ctrl-Shift-B and browse/search the LDAP
address book, it is set as the "show first" address book, but Outlook will
not look at the directory when I hit Ctrl-K to autocomplete/confirm
addresses I know are in LDAP.

What am I doing wrong?

- Henry

alan

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your posing here.

Please first confirm if there is Exchange server existing in your
environment. If Exchange exists, you don't need to configure Internet
Directory Service (LDAP) for your local Active Directory on Outlook client.
All the mail-enabled entries in Active Directory are included in Global
Address List (GAL), and you can use GAL to resolve names.

If you prefer to use LDAP directory, I suggest you use the following steps
to narrow down the issue:

1. Remove/Reconfigure LDAP
==============
a. In Outlook 2003, click Tools menu and choose Email accounts.

b. Select the "View or change existing directories or address books" option
and click the Next button.
c. Remove the existing LDAP directories.

d. Restart Outlook, and re-add the proper LDAP directory.

2. New Outlook profile
=============
Please create a new profile, and reconfigure the LADP directory.
For the steps on how to create a new profile, refer to the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article:

829918 How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829918

3. Outlook Safe Mode
=================
a. Click Start, and then point to Programs.
b. Press CTRL while you click the shortcut for Outlook that you want to
start.
c. Hold down CTRL until you receive a message similar to the following:
"Outlook has detected that you are holding down the CTRL key. Do you want
to start Outlook in safe mode?" Click Yes.

4. New Windows Profile
====================
Create a new account, and log on as the new one. Then test to see if the
issue disappears in new windows account.

In addition, if the issue persists after performing the above suggestions,
please try to reproduce the behavior and provide a screen shot. Please also
let me know the exact steps that you used to configue the LDAP directory as
an OAB.

Hope this helps! Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support

|From: <[email protected]>
|Subject: LDAP and Outlook Address Book
|Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:11:19 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
|Why won't my Outlook 2003 check addresses (Ctrl-K) against my Win2k
AD LDAP
|directory when I'm entering recipients to messages? I have
configured the
|LDAP directory as an OAB, I can Ctrl-Shift-B and browse/search the
LDAP
|address book, it is set as the "show first" address book, but Outlook
will
|not look at the directory when I hit Ctrl-K to autocomplete/confirm
|addresses I know are in LDAP.
|
|What am I doing wrong?

|- Henry