LaCie Monitor + motherboard + PSU

Reaction score
Morning
I am currently saving up and building this computer, bit by bit, on a monthly basis as I'm paid, and I have so many questions:
[font=&quot]Antec NSK4400 Mini Tower Case - 380W SmartPower PSU[/font]

[font=&quot]Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi PCI-Express Motherboard [/font]

[font=&quot]AMD[/font][font=&quot] Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (Socket 939) [/font]

[font=&quot]Corsair 1GB DDR Value Select PC3200 CAS3.0 Kit (2x512MB) [/font]

[font=&quot]Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache Pioneer DVR-111DBK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black) Samsung SH-D162 DVD-ROM (Black) BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)[/font]

[font=&quot]First month I'm buying the case and PSU. Is it worth buying a better one separate from the case? I'd quite like to make the rig as quiet as possible, and also, what benefits would buying a PSU with higher wattage infer?[/font]

Next question - the monitor. My girlfriend has found this monitor languishing in a corner at work, which apparently they'll sell me for £100 - all seems too good to be true to me, but it says PC plug n play - wil it definitely be compatible with the video card though? Also, will it be any good? It is, apparently, as big as Wembley stadium, so I only want to lug it home if it's good.

Finally, cooling. What level of cooling technology would i need? I may get a slightly higher spec graphics card, and also might opt for the Athlon 64 4000+ CPU - would this mean more or better fans/PSU?

Sorry for all the questions - I really just want to get everything right before I stary shelling out cash...

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
But it's MASSIVE! 22 inches of monitor! I reckon I'm going to take the risk you know...

Reaction score
30 kg Monitor

Mongrel said:
But it's MASSIVE! 22 inches of monitor! I reckon I'm going to take the risk you know...
Up to you! Oh and dont forget it weigh's 30 kg (60 lbs)!

Reaction score
Mongrel said:

Dont bother mate!

remember that a 17" TFT will give you the same viewing area as a 19" CRT. You dont get 22" of screen with a 22" CRT. Its a lie.

Just get a 19" TFT for a little more than £100 and you'll get the same sort of viewing area.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mongrel said:
Morning
I am currently saving up and building this computer, bit by bit, on a monthly basis as I'm paid, and I have so many questions:

[font="]First month I'm buying the case and PSU. Is it worth buying a better one separate from the case? I'd quite like to make the rig as quiet as possible, and also, what benefits would buying a PSU with higher wattage infer?
Do some homework, search these forums, we've given plenty of advice on what to look for. Higher Watts mean nothing these days. ;)[/font]

Next question - the monitor. My girlfriend has found this monitor languishing in a corner at work, which apparently they'll sell me for £100 - all seems too good to be true to me, but it says PC plug n play - wil it definitely be compatible with the video card though? Also, will it be any good? It is, apparently, as big as Wembley stadium, so I only want to lug it home if it's good.
Hmmm, a fool & his money ... up to you, but I was once a staunch advocate of the CRT, until I got my first TFT ... get a 17/19 TFT and peice of mind. :thumb:

Finally, cooling. What level of cooling technology would i need? I may get a slightly higher spec graphics card, and also might opt for the Athlon 64 4000+ CPU - would this mean more or better fans/PSU?
Buy a 'retail' CPU & the stock HSF is all you need, really, they are very good & you'll keep the 3 year warantee that AMD give. ;)

Sorry for all the questions - I really just want to get everything right before I stary shelling out cash...

Thanks in advance
Then listen & learn to the advice already given ...
nod.gif

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Looking forward to getting started on this now. I'm sure I'll have many other schoolboy queries as I go along. Particularly worried about the day I have to put the motherboard in, but I'll cross that bridge once I get to it...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ask as many as you like ... :thumb:

Remember, fit the CPU/HSF & memory before fitting the MB in the case ... ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Mongrel said:
Thanks for that. Looking forward to getting started on this now. I'm sure I'll have many other schoolboy queries as I go along. Particularly worried about the day I have to put the motherboard in, but I'll cross that bridge once I get to it...
And remember if you need help, just ask:thumb:

Ask a Question