Knowledge Base 298370 - does not work

G

I am running WinXP Pro using an HP LJ 3100se printer. I recently built a new system and once I connected the printer to the new machine, I continually receive the "Found New Hardware" wizard. I have attempted to delete the problem key per the knowledge base article 298370, but I receive an error message each time that the key cannot be deleted. I have tried deleting individual subkeys and the next higher level key without success.

I was successful, however, at losing access to my printer. It disappeared from my Printer and Faxes folder when I attempted to reinstall the driver and subsequent attempts to install it have failed. HP insists that it is Microsoft's fault and refuses to help me, though it did sell me a $10 CD to fix the problem and that failed as well.

My goals are 1) to restore the printer to use, 2) to prevent the "found new hardware" wizard from recurring each time I boot, and 3) to avoid spending 40 minutes on hold either to be charged $50 for a "solution" or to be told it is someone else's fault.

Your comments are appreciated.

C

Colin Cogle

matthewmaletestinic said:
I am running WinXP Pro using an HP LJ 3100se printer. I recently built a new system and once I connected the printer to the new machine, I continually receive the "Found New Hardware" wizard. I have attempted to delete the problem key per the knowledge base article 298370, but I receive an error message each time that the key cannot be deleted. I have tried deleting individual subkeys and the next higher level key without success.

I was successful, however, at losing access to my printer. It disappeared from my Printer and Faxes folder when I attempted to reinstall the driver and subsequent attempts to install it have failed. HP insists that it is Microsoft's fault and refuses to help me, though it did sell me a $10 CD to fix the problem and that failed as well.

My goals are 1) to restore the printer to use, 2) to prevent the "found new hardware" wizard from recurring each time I boot, and 3) to avoid spending 40 minutes on hold either to be charged $50 for a "solution" or to be told it is someone else's fault.

Your comments are appreciated.

Launch the Registry Editor with the file name (from the Run box)
"regedt32", minus quotes. I've heard problems can arise if you use
"regedit" to launch it, though I think that problem was fixed for XP.

Anyway, in the Registry, right-click the problematic key and choose
"Permissions..." Click on "Add..." and type in your username and press
OK. Then, making sure your name is highlighted, give yourself Full
Control by checking the appropriate box under the "Allow" column. Click
OK, and now the registry key is yours to do whatever you want with it.

Just remember to change it back (if you don't delete it) or else you'll
leave a hole in the Registry for malicious programs to sneak in
through... On a Windows-based computer, the last thing we need is
another hole.

G

I, too, have found knowledge base 298370 does not work to eliminate the
"Found new Hardware" pop up after installing a Lexmark printer. I am running
Windows XP Home Edition, SP 1. I tried REGEDIT to remove the LPTENUM entry.
The entry has been removed, but the problem still persists--the "Found New
Hardware" pop still appears and I can't get rid of it.

Anyone have any other suggestions....

Ask a Question