Keyboard shortcut: something new

James Silverton

Hello, All!

I have been using Excel 2002, as the name implies, for quite a
long time but it still surprises me sometimes. Today, I
accidentally pressed CTRL-SHIFT-; and the time with hour and
minutes appeared. Can anyone tell me please where this shortcut
is documented?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Dave Peterson

In xl2003's help, I can search for "keyboard shortcuts"

Click on the first item (Keyboard Shortcuts)
then scroll down for:
Keys for entering, editing, formatting, and calculating data
Then click on: Enter data

Near the bottom of that section, I see:

CTRL+; (semicolon)
Enter the date.

CTRL+SHIFT+: (colon)
Enter the time.

James Silverton

Dave wrote on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:09:03 -0500:

DP> Click on the first item (Keyboard Shortcuts)
DP> then scroll down for:
DP> Keys for entering, editing, formatting, and calculating
DP> data Then click on: Enter data

DP> Near the bottom of that section, I see:

DP> CTRL+; (semicolon)
DP> Enter the date.

DP> CTRL+SHIFT+: (colon)
DP> Enter the time.

DP> James Silverton wrote:
??>>
??>> Hello, All!
??>>
??>> I have been using Excel 2002, as the name implies, for
??>> quite a long time but it still surprises me sometimes.
??>> Today, I accidentally pressed CTRL-SHIFT-; and the time
??>> with hour and minutes appeared. Can anyone tell me please
??>> where this shortcut is documented?

Thank you very much Dave, it had not occurred to me to look
under "Enter data". As I've said many times before, you live and
learn.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

MartinW

Hi James,

Put 'keyboard shortcut' into the index section of Help
and then click on 'keys for entering data'.

You will also see it used all over these newsgroups.
Press Ctrl+; followed by space followed by Ctrl+Shift+;
and you will get the current Date and time in the cell.

HTH
Martin