Windows Vista Keeps Crashing

Reaction score
Vista keeps crashing on me for some reason and going to the dump screen. When my computer recovers it gives me file suggestions to look at to explain the issue. I have no idea what it means. This is what the file says:

Windows NT Version 6.0 Build: 6000
Product (0x3): Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
Edition: HomePremium
BuildString: 6000.16584.x86fre.vista_gdr.071023-1545
Flavor: Multiprocessor Free
Architecture: X86
LCID: 1033

If anyone knows what to do about this please let me know. Thank you. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That information is just general info about your version of Windows Vista - but what you could try is having a look at your system stability info and see what happens when your PC crashes:

To load this, go to:

Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > Open Reliability and Performance Manager > Reliability Monitor

You should then be able to click on an event at the time your PC crashed, and it will have more diagnostic info :)

Reaction score
Thanks this is what I got

I followed all of those steps and it shows a bunch of red x's on certain dates. The crash that just happened this morning just says disruptive shutdown. There are also 2 application failures. DivX player and windows media player stopped working. It says that yesterday firefox failed. Should I be looking for something specific?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll need to look for the exact time that a crash happens to be able to pinpoint it - when you've found one, can you paste the text in here that it will list under the "system stability report" bit at the bottom :)

Reaction score
System Stability Report

It says:

Failure Type: Disruptive Shutdown

Version: 6.0.6000

Failure Detail: This computer was not shut down properly

Date: 10/2/2008

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, in that case it's not a straight forward crash. Does the system just restart all by itself, and you don't see an error screen at the time - it just reboots back into Vista?

Reaction score
Physical Memory Dump

No. Every time it crashes like it did, it goes to a blue screen that says physical memory dump. Then it restarts and asks me if I want to start windows normally or in safe mode. I always choose to start it normally.

Reaction score
Can you give a more detailed description of what you were doing at the time of the crash..?? What programs did you have open at the time etc...Also what is the spec of your computer..? What software do you have installed..?Disruptive shut downs can be caused by either hard or software incomaptability..

Reaction score
Any Ideas?

Well the first time it crashed I was watching something in windows media player. Then when the computer restarted I let the desktop load. Before I opened anything at all it crashed again. When it comes to what software I have installed, that's a long list. :) Nothing out of the usual though.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I reckon its gonna be a memory problem or perhaps power/heat.

Can you list what processor, memory, graphics and power supply you have please.

With regards to memory, how much? what speed?

Reaction score
Long list or not mate, there could be a compatability issue with something that you have installed...Every bit of ammo we get from you can help sorting this problem out...

Reaction score
Specs

Model: Dell Inspiron 1525

Memory (RAM):1014MB

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz

How do I find out what graphics and power supply I have?

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Long list or not mate, there could be a compatability issue with something that you have installed...Every bit of ammo we get from you can help sorting this problem out...

Here is an image of all of the programs installed. By the way. I opened up the thing to view the programs and the computer crashed. That's why it took so long to reply. I'm at a loss for why this is happening.

Attachments

• programs.jpg
    programs.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
it could be your memory timings and voltage in the BIOS.
but 1gb for vista?

Cutting it fine aint ya?

Reaction score
HA. Yea that's what came with the computer though and I don't have money to upgrade it and I don't know how to downgrade to XP.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
For Graphics Card,

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1153/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.2.7.html

Go there and download, its a live program so doesn't install, when its done either post the pic or say whats in the name box.

For Power Supply you need to remove the side of the case and then say what kind of numbers it has on the side.

Think you are going to need some faster memory or more of it as Vista really will struggle on 1GB especially if you have lots of Apps.

Reaction score
Download this if that one does not work then try this. The tools will let you know what temps are for the CPU, then post them here and we can take a look, are all the air way vents for the fans clean and free of dust?

Also have you tried booting in safe mode and see if it crashes in there?

Edit, Dont bother doing loading that tool, as I have just remebered that vista has a built in testing tool for the memory, go to start and type mem then the memory tool will come up click on it then select run next time I reboot the computer, this will display a report afterwards if it has found any errors or not.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Download this if that one does not work then try this. The tools will let you know what temps are for the CPU, then post them here and we can take a look, are all the air way vents for the fans clean and free of dust?

Also have you tried booting in safe mode and see if it crashes in there?

Thanks

Wiz

CoreTemp-Scr.jpg

Ask a Question