Keep getting kicked off the internet

Reaction score
I am having a problem with constantly being disconnected from the internet (sky broadband). I have a netgear modem router (DG834GT) which is connected to my desktop PC ( running windows XP) via an Ethernet cable and laptop connected wirelessly. When I connect my desktop to the internet it will work fine for about 5 minutes, then it loses connection to the internet altogether, I also lose connection from my laptop so every 5 minutes I have to restart my router to connect again (very frustrating). Strange thing is, if I am connected to internet using just my laptop then everything is fine. It seems that when I turn on my desktop PC, it causes something to happen to my router so it will not connect to the internet. Once I’ve lost connection I have tried to ping my router and it just says request timed out, I also can’t get anything by typing the IP address of the router into the browser window. Unfortunately I am completely computer illiterate so any ideas you guys might have would be much appreciated. This is just a recent problem I have been having, it has been working fine for 3 months.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be that you have a faulty router. The first thing I would try is to do a hard reset of the router and see if that fixes things (you'll need to look in the manual to see how to do it for that particular model). You'll also need to re-enter the broadband settings when it comes back online as it will remove all your router settings - so be aware of this ;)

The DG834GT is quite a popular model so someone here might know more about this issue, but the above would be my suggestion :)

Normally I'd think it would be a problem with the line noise or something along those lines, but the fact it works with the laptop is a bit confusing.

It might also be worth reading the Sky User forum to see if others have this same issue : http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

Ask a Question