K8V SE Deluxe and AMD 64 Installation problems

tonym

I've spent several days trying to get Windows XP to
install on my K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+.
I've tried loading it to a single hard drive system using
three different hard drives (one at a time): a Western
Digital 5400RPM Caviar and 7200RPM Carviar, and a Western
Digital SATA. I've tried two different copies of Windows
XP, and each time get an error related to page file,
or "Internal Setup Error." I've tried every configuration
you can imagine. I've tried formating the disk and
writing the MBR both from the Western Digital tools and
from the Windows XP Setup disk. I've updated the bios to
the most recent version.

I tried loading Windows '98 and it installed and runs
perfectly. Same with Linux. This is only happening with
XP.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Error Message: Setup Cannot Set the Required Windows XP Configuration Information
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316425&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"tonym" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I've spent several days trying to get Windows XP to
| install on my K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+.
| I've tried loading it to a single hard drive system using
| three different hard drives (one at a time): a Western
| Digital 5400RPM Caviar and 7200RPM Carviar, and a Western
| Digital SATA. I've tried two different copies of Windows
| XP, and each time get an error related to page file,
| or "Internal Setup Error." I've tried every configuration
| you can imagine. I've tried formating the disk and
| writing the MBR both from the Western Digital tools and
| from the Windows XP Setup disk. I've updated the bios to
| the most recent version.
|
| I tried loading Windows '98 and it installed and runs
| perfectly. Same with Linux. This is only happening with
| XP.

I've tried working through the solutions offered on the
Troubleshooting XP Setup over the weekend; none of them
worked. The information re: configuration on your first
suggestion seems right to the point, but I'm working with
a single hard drive, single CD drive, motherboard,
keyboard and monitor that are ALL XP compatable.

Petz

Can you run one of the floppy disk memory diagnostics?
Installing XP is much more likely to find memory problems
than Win98. I've installed XP on a system with Athlon 64
3000+ and Shuttle AN50R motherboard and didn't have any
problems.

I ran a complete memory check last night using MEM386 and
there were no errors. Despite the fact that I'm trying to
install it to a pretty common/standard Western Digital
EIDE drive, and using the XP setup disk to partition and
format the drive I keep getting the same error. I'm not
sure what it is related to. Everything I'm using is XP
certified.

Dear Tonym

Just had the same problem and here is how i addressed it.

a) Fdisk the hard drive on a second machine and format it, set up does not
matter.
b) plug the hard drive (I guess you are using SATA or serial drives) into
the pri_sat point.
c) restart the system and on the RAID information press the key to enter the
RAId set up in the K8V SE delux startup routine and set the hard drive to
RAID 0 for performance and the on second screen as 1. (see the help manual
for how this done)
d) now on a second machine go the ASUS website and get the make disk file
for the motherboard drivers for the RAID.
You need to get the make disk files.
down load on a remove machine.
e) insert floppy in drive and make disk two types needed a) for RAId and
second for drive.

Then on your K8V SE system insert windows xp and it asks on install for f6
if you will be loading third party devices or SCSI devices and say f6. At end
of routine it then asks you to load the two floppies and insert drivers.

Then enter and on install the windows XP software will fdisk the drive again
and ask you if you want fat 32 or NDSF of drive. Select choice.
The rest windows sorts out.

Once the system is going and live you can change over the board from pri_sat
to SATA1 to improve the transfer rate and performance.

Basically, the windows can not recognise the drive if it is not Fdisked

It is in the manual but right at the back and hidden. You will need updated
drivers from ASUS.

Now if you can help me please, I can not get the board or windows to respond
to my keyboard or mouse.

It works for the LINUX system and for the bios, but windows driver is wrong.
how do i trigger a driver load in windows to find the keyboard?

Hope this helps.