Just opened up a G3 iMac...

Reaction score
I just dug my old G3 iMac out the shed, and began to understand part of why Macs are more expensive than PCs. (discounting the fact they are just overpriced anyway :p)

Opening it up you can see everything has had to be designed soley to make this computer work. Even the molex on the hard drive had to be plugged into a 3 pin slot on the logic board instead of leading to a power supply.

The level of customisation was actually ridiculous, whereas now they all use intel CPUs and are much more standard. It was from 1999, and it was the first of the iMacs and I found it very innovative and more interesting than looking inside my other PCs :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Techy said:
urgh a mac, kill it, kill it now.

I was once like that but the new generation of i-Macs work well, are reasonably priced and above all else - look Gorgeous.

And if you're that perverse, you can run Win XP on it as well :)

But, as ever, the software, particularly games, is ridiculously overpriced.

I've never actually looked inside one, I'd find that interesting.

Reaction score
It is very interesting poking around inside them. Especially one like mine as it was the earliest.

I have This one by the way.

They are hugely different to any PC. The way they crammed everything in astounds me, and I cannot imagine how they managed to design such a thing. There is literally a heatsink in every crevis, and because it could not even have a standard power supply, there are all kinds of cables and sockets that mean absolutely sod all to me.

It also has this crazy metal sheet with loads of holes in it, which is contoured to fit over the board & all the other bits which is just ridiculous.

I opened it to get the hard drive which has some of my brothers' baby sounds and other sentimental stuff that we took off a reeeaaaaaalllllllyyy old Mac years and years ago. I never managed to as I couldn't get it to boot on my computer, so it looks like i'll have to take it all off on CD-Rs :(

Oh, and on the bottom it says 'i was made in Korea' and 'my family number is xxxxxxx'.
:D
Love it!

Last edited:

Ask a Question