Just got myself a GPS - TomTom Go 730

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I actually bought a Tom Tom ONE 125 for my son on his birthday back in end January. Until that time I could not justify one for myself but after he started using it we both realised it is surely a very useful device in some ways. It saves on gas, time, and guides in the best possible way in terms of alternate routes if needed.

I have been living in Houston for over two years now and thought I knew Houston like the back of my hand until I indulged and got myself a Tom Tom Go 730 along with a Transcend 4 GB Class 6 SDHC Card. After I got the unit it dawned on me that I know nothing about Houstons roads
laughingsmiley.gif

It is very different to what my son has, more of an serious upgrade to Tom Tom ONE. It has all the bells and whistle anyone can expect from a small device like this. I bought this particular unit after a lot of research and I am glad I did since it is exactly what I wanted in terms of features. Bluethooth hands free calling, FM transmitter, MP3 Player, SDHC memory card slot, Voice Address Input, Advance Lane Guidance, IQ Routes, 4.3 inch screen etc.

I was curious to know how many of the members here use one. If you do which one is it and why did you buy it?:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
How does the Bluetooth option perform ?

Use £1.99 map and electric window if I need to find somewhere meself.

happywave.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
How does the Bluetooth option perform ?

Use £1.99 map and electric window if I need to find somewhere meself.

happywave.gif

Works like a charm! :D

I could upload my phonebook to the GPS and when a call comes in it gives the same info as my Razr would, the name and the number. The sound quality is more than adequate which is from the internal speaker as Tom Tom recently made the change to stop supporting it from the audio out or through the FM transmitter.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Don't drive anymore, but I walk a lot ... ;)

Nice to see you Quad. :wave:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Don't drive anymore, but I walk a lot ... ;)

Nice to see you Quad. :wave:

Me either I go by mynose and I like it that way..Nice to see though and nice to see a happy customer............

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All I can say is that so far in this life I got by with my own local knowledge of London and maps for the UK.

Having said that, I'm the world's worst for getting lost, just ask my three daughters, even got lost just walking in the New Forest once :lol:

Nice to see you liking your new toy Quad, and do pop by more often :)

Reaction score
Ive just actually bought a Bluetooth GPS for my PDA. They are very very useful indeed

Best things about the o2 XDA 2i is its pocket size. Your able to carry it anywhere

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Works like a charm! :D

I could upload my phonebook to the GPS and when a call comes in it gives the same info as my Razr would, the name and the number. The sound quality is more than adequate which is from the internal speaker as Tom Tom recently made the change to stop supporting it from the audio out or through the FM transmitter.

Ta, enjoy your new toy , sorry that should read "tool" .
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Voice Address Input

Does that mean you can speak an address and it will guide you? Very clever if so! :D

I've got the TomTom One, and I'm really pleased with it :thumb: Bex has to drive all over the place with her job, so it's really handy just being able to get in the car and find the place if it's an unfamiliar area.

We had a little Garmin GPS unit before that, the most basic GPS unit possible - but it was small, cheap and got us from A>B (but the power connector broke, and it wasn't possible to solder it back on).

Reaction score
Got a TomTom One that i use for business.
Mostly use it combined with a Map Book as i prefer this method.
As an example to go see my Sister in the West Country it always tells me to use the M25.
But thats the worst route you can use, i either look at the map book or use local knowledge to use a different route!

As for needing one around Houston Quad, you will find you get some places quicker.
How are you finding the Lone Star State??

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Does that mean you can speak an address and it will guide you? Very clever if so! :D

Yes that is what it does!
nod.gif

When you speak it picks up your voice and matches it with its data base, it will then list the options, if it got it wrong you can just pick from the list of choices by numbers and go on next to street name and finally the house number. It does work but I do not use it. Playing around with it while driving is not a very good idea. The best way is to feed the info and start driving to reach the destination.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
feckit said:
As for needing one around Houston Quad, you will find you get some places quicker.
How are you finding the Lone Star State??

Well I have made it my home :p The only thing I am not thrilled about is the weather, it changes by the hour :( There is a saying here that goes " If you don't like the weather, wait for an hour" :D

Actually I live in Sugar Land and work in Houston if you are familiar with the place. The GPS sure comes up with quicker routes most of the times when I am in unfamiliar territory. I work in the insurance business so the GPS is not a toy but rather an indespensible tool for me. Insurance is all about appointments so misssing one or being late surely means lost business. This GPS in my opinion will pay itself off in time to come.
nod.gif

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Quad

I have a Tomtom 730 and it is the best thing ever!!

Battery time is a bit low so I pretty much keep mine on charge in the car. Complicated junctions and motorway exits etc.... are so easy. Not the cheapest but for regular travellers who don't do maps (I don't do maps ever :)) - you can't beat it.

The lttle Garmin that Ian talked about was good too - I had one for ages until I upgraded to my Tomtom 730.

Love

Gabz xx

Reaction score
I have a TomTom ONE which i purchased when going to car meets as kept getting lost lolz. Came in handy when on the road daily for work. Must have had it a few years now and could do with an upgrade. Like the sound of this FM Transmitter! As i change my car every 2 - 3 years i never bother changing the head unit to an MP3 player due to waranty.

Ask a Question