Javascript error:

Gary Price \(ICT\)

I am using IE6 SP2 on XP Home SP2.
On the page http://www.anz.com, when I click the log on button, I get a
popup window that has no content of any kind - just a blank white rectangle
inside the frame - and a Javascript error that says:
Line: 162
Char: 2
Error: a disk error occurred during a read operation.
Code: 0

This problem was there before I installed service pack 2 from a CD.
I was getting a similar error with Windows Update pages, but fixed it by
registering MSXML3.DLL.
I have registered all the DLLs listed on the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679.

Should I just try to repair the OS? Or is there some other way I can get
useful diagnostic information about this?

Thanks
Gary Price

Don Varnau

Hi,
Some things to try:

Try this command to re-register all IE DLLs (works with XP SP2 only)
iexplore.exe /rereg

Empty the IE cache.
Make sure that a pop-up blocker (or another program) isn't causing this.

Try a reload of the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download.

Something in this article may help:
How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with IE 6 SP 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Gary Price \(ICT\)

I installed the script engine again (5.6). I had actually already tried that
but did it again anyway.
I cleared the cache etc as suggested.
I did the iexplore /rereg thing.
I followed all the suggestions in the recommended article.
I made a new user (with limited privileges) and it happens for that user.
The blank window thing also happens when logged on as Administrator in safe
mode with networking. No antivirus or other programs running.
If there are any other suggestions I can try them as well.
One odd thing is that I can't start the administrative tools from the
control panel. When I double-click, nothing happens. I can start the
individual applications such as event viewer from the command line though.

Thanks
Gary Price

Gary Price (ICT) said:
I am using IE6 SP2 on XP Home SP2.
On the page http://www.anz.com, when I click the log on button, I get a
popup window that has no content of any kind - just a blank white rectangle
inside the frame - and a Javascript error that says:
Line: 162
Char: 2
Error: a disk error occurred during a read operation.
Code: 0

This problem was there before I installed service pack 2 from a CD.
I was getting a similar error with Windows Update pages, but fixed it by
registering MSXML3.DLL.
I have registered all the DLLs listed on the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679.

Should I just try to repair the OS? Or is there some other way I can get
useful diagnostic information about this?

Thanks
Gary Price

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Gary Price (ICT) said:
I am using IE6 SP2 on XP Home SP2.
On the page http://www.anz.com, when I click the log on button, I get
a popup window that has no content of any kind - just a blank white
rectangle inside the frame - and a Javascript error that says:
Line: 162
Char: 2
Error: a disk error occurred during a read operation.
Code: 0

This problem was there before I installed service pack 2 from a CD.
I was getting a similar error with Windows Update pages, but fixed it
by registering MSXML3.DLL.
I have registered all the DLLs listed on the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679.

Should I just try to repair the OS? Or is there some other way I can
get useful diagnostic information about this?

Thanks
Gary Price

How long do you wait with that blank popup? It took quite a while to
display anything here.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Gary Price \(ICT\)

The new window appears almost instantaneously. At the same time I get the
Javascript error message. So it would appear to be something to do with the
HTML/Javascript that is already loaded. I tried other browsers on various
machines and there does not appear to be any problem with the page itself. I
tried Firefox on the machine in question and that worked fine.

The only other thign thing I can tell you at this point is that the problem
started happening when the owner of this machine interrupted a Norton's
Antivirus update, and subsequently installed AVG. Whether there were other
things that happened as well is lost in the mists of time.

Gary Price

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

1. You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

Sometimes there's a corrupt file in the cache and one must go to Tools |
Internet Options and click Delete Files.

2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

(WinXP users who have problems with 2a and 2b, see
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm)

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

4. See also
Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
on This Page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306831
Scripting Errors When You View Web Pages in Internet Explorer after
Installing Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822521

5a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

5b. Find the hijacker that caused 5a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

How to Troubleshoot Script Errors in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

lavozdelsinu

Hi Gary,

I was wondering if you ever arrived at a resolution to your problem. I am
having the same problem on my laptop as well. I tried all those things too
and still can't get java links to work. Running XP home edition. The page
works flawlessly using the Netscape Browser.

A.N. Durden III
Albany, GA.

Gary Price (ICT) said:
[...]

No, the same problem still happens. I also tried the things on the other
branch of this thread. I will be continuing the conversation on that branch
if you are interested.

Gary Price

"Gary Price (ICT)" <gprice[at]bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
[...]

Frank
I tried your suggestions without success. I have used adaware and spybot to
scan the machine as well, but have not yet worked through all the
recommendations of the anti-spyware websites. Gradually I will get this
done.

So my next question is, assuming I have done these things correctly, is
there a "next step", such as some kind of reinstallation, that would be
guaranteed to fix this problem? Maybe I could try a system restore back to a
point before the time when this error started happening.

Thanks
Gary Price

Don Varnau

Has Norton AV been uninstalled? Does NAV show up at all in running
processes?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Gary Price \(ICT\)

No, there is no sign of Nortons anywhere -
- not in the Add/remove programs
- not in running apps
- not in running processes.
This problem happens even in "safe mode with networking" where practically
nothing is running.

Thanks
Gary Price

Gary Price (ICT) said:
The new window appears almost instantaneously. At the same time I get the
Javascript error message. So it would appear to be something to do with the
HTML/Javascript that is already loaded. I tried other browsers on various
machines and there does not appear to be any problem with the page
itself.
tried Firefox on the machine in question and that worked fine.

The only other thign thing I can tell you at this point is that the problem
started happening when the owner of this machine interrupted a Norton's
Antivirus update, and subsequently installed AVG. Whether there were other
things that happened as well is lost in the mists of time.

Don Varnau

Gary,
Sorry for losing track of this thread. I don't think that either of these
will help, but (from the "might be useful someday" file)

Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone> Custom... check Allow META
REFRESH. Or put that site in Trusted Sites.

I've seen one (1) report that turning AutoFill (Google toolbar) on or off
(try both) helped with this.

Don

Robert Aldwinckle

Gary Price (ICT) said:
I am using IE6 SP2 on XP Home SP2.
On the page http://www.anz.com, when I click the log on button, I get a
popup window that has no content of any kind - just a blank white rectangle
inside the frame

I didn't even get that far. (I cancelled the Certificate Revocation prompt.)
But I think I found the cause of Frank's (and my) delay <eg>

(right-click, View Source)

Note the decimal point which I suspect is invalid. Depending on
how that is treated you could get a much longer delay than the
expected half second. E.g. period according to charmap is 2E.
If that becomes interpreted as 140 you could be waiting as long
as 2 and half minutes. <LOL>

Does starting from here

https://www.anz.com/inetbank/bankmain.asp

work any better for you?

BTW somehow it knows that I am a "New User" but it hasn't presented
any Cookies yet. (I had to press Ctrl-N to clone the page to use its
View Privacy Report to see that.) So if that doesn't work I would suspect
a bad Cookie is being sent for yours. Etc.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---