Javascript broken in Trusted Zone site

Alder

I'm trying to tighten up my browsing security by following the
recommendations at http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/surf-safe.html.
I've locked down the Internet Zone and moved several sites into the
Trusted Zone. One site now in the Trusted Zone will load and display
its opening page, but the tabs, which used to fire some scripts and
load different pages, no longer work.

My Trusted Zone custom settings are very liberal. I've enabled
everything in sight, including my custom Java settings. The only way
to get these tabs working again is to return my Internet Zone settings
to the default Medium level, and remove the site from the Trusted
Zone, which defeats the whole purpose of this exercise.

I know next to nothing about HTML and Javascript, but since the
offending tabs seem to be defined in the HTML source for the site's
opening page, I thought I'd post the Javascript function they appear
in in the hopes that someone with a lot more savvy can spot the
problem. Here's the function:

function finishnavControlSetupPrototype() {
var tmpPtr;

this.winStatButton.document.body.insertAdjacentHTML ("beforeEnd",
'<table style="background-color: transparent; border-collapse:
collapse;" border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0></table>');
this.tblStatButton =
this.winStatButton.document.body.children(this.winStatButton.document.body.children.length
- 1);
this.trStatButton = this.tblStatButton.insertRow();

this.winDynButton.document.body.insertAdjacentHTML ("beforeEnd",
'<table style="background-color: transparent; border-collapse:
collapse; width: auto;" cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0></table>');
this.tblDynButton =
this.winDynButton.document.body.children(this.winDynButton.document.body.children.length
- 1);
this.trDynButton = this.tblDynButton.insertRow();

this.winIframe.document.body.insertAdjacentHTML ("beforeEnd", '<table
border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 style="width: 100%; height:
100%;"></table>');
this.tblIframe = this.winIframe.document.body.children(this.winIframe.document.body.children.length
- 1);
this.trIframe = this.tblIframe.insertRow();

this.AddTabPage ('1','Start','Start with forms.','/Start/Start.stm',
false, null, false);
this.AddTabPage ('2','Forms','Work with existing
forms.','/Forms/List.asp', false, null, false);
this.AddTabPage ('3','Profiles','Work with
profiles.','/Profiles/List.asp', false, null, false);
this.AddTabPage ('4','Delegations','Work with
delegations.','/Delegations/List.asp', false, null, false);
if (this.oShowUtilitiesTabs.blnShowReportsTab) {
this.AddTabPage ('5','Reports','','/SecuredTabs/Start.asp?U=R',
false, null, false);
}
if (this.oShowUtilitiesTabs.blnShowToolsTab) {
this.AddTabPage ('6','Tools','','/SecuredTabs/Start.asp?U=T', false,
null, false);
}

// this.AddTabPage ('7','Links','','/Links/Start.stm', false, null,
false);
// this.AddTabPage ('8','Help','','/Help/Start.stm', false, null,
false);

//tmpPtr = this.trStatButton.children(0).children(0).LLPtr;
//blah don't like doing this :p
iStartPage = window.setInterval("navControl.chkreadyStart ()", 200);
//this.ActivateExistingPage (tmpPtr);
//tmpPtr.numHistory = this.SetHistory ();
}

Your insights are appreciated...

Terry

Don Varnau

Hi,
In the Trusted sites tab did you uncheck "Require server verification?" That
allows you to put non https sites in that list.

Are the new pages that would be opened of the same domain? Eg. putting
*.yahoo.com in the trusted sites list also puts mail.yahoo.com,
weather.yahoo.com, etc in the zone.

Don

Alder

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. Short answers below.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
In the Trusted sites tab did you uncheck "Require server verification?" That
allows you to put non https sites in that list.
Yes.

Are the new pages that would be opened of the same domain? Eg. putting
*.yahoo.com in the trusted sites list also puts mail.yahoo.com,
weather.yahoo.com, etc in the zone.

Yes, I checked this by watching the address bar while other people
accessed this application and clicked on the various tabs. There was
no (visible) change to the address displayed, which, by the way, does
not change from the the domain name while the user navigates between
the tabs.

If you can think of anything else I can look into, please reply.

Thanks,
Terry

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Alder" <TFTAJLLYMXZP[at]spammotel.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Alder

I managed to get these tabs working and leave the site in the Trusted
Zone by enabling "Active Scripting" in the Internet Zone. Does anyone
have any insight as to why a site in the Trusted Zone relies on
settings in the Internet Zone?

Thanks,

Terry

Robert Aldwinckle

Alder said:
I managed to get these tabs working and leave the site in the Trusted
Zone by enabling "Active Scripting" in the Internet Zone. Does anyone
have any insight as to why a site in the Trusted Zone relies on
settings in the Internet Zone?

Check your assumptions with the Privacy Report (Alt-V,v).
E.g. it could be that some of the content is being distributed
by a caching service such as Akamai. In that case the server name
would not match the name in the Trusted zone and the content
would be mixed. Similarly depending on the pattern you are using
for putting the site in the Trusted zone the site itself might be using
different prefixes which represent specific servers in a pool of servers
at the same address. Etc. Does the zone icon say Trusted (mixed)?

---