iTunes ver 7.3 will not install on win vista

it downloads fine but when it comes to install it says quicktime can't
install due to error 2738. i don't have a clue what to do. can anyone help?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Please visit: http://www.appdeploy.com/messageboards/tm.asp?m=25870

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

:

it downloads fine but when it comes to install it says quicktime can't
install due to error 2738. i don't have a clue what to do. can anyone help?

Richard Urban

If I were trying to install a Panasonic after market radio in a Ford, and
found it wouldn't work, I certainly would not go to Ford for assistance. I
would go to Panasonic.

In your case - try Apple.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Peter Foldes

Richard

Today there was a post in the microsoft.public.outlook by an OP stating that he stood in line to get his iPphone yesterday and he is not capable to sync it with Outlook on his computer and his contacts from outlook does not install.
The OP was told to contact Apple for info on the above and he hissed and xxxxx saying that MS is not compatible with anything and it has nothing to do with Apple.

Go figure

Richard Urban

That is not at all surprising, is it. There is no way that even the latest
version of Outlook, or Vista for that matter, is aware of a product that
comes out after Outlook or the operating system was introduced.

I guess that people expect Microsoft to be mind readers and fortune tellers.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Richard

Today there was a post in the microsoft.public.outlook by an OP stating that
he stood in line to get his iPphone yesterday and he is not capable to sync
it with Outlook on his computer and his contacts from outlook does not
install.
The OP was told to contact Apple for info on the above and he hissed and
xxxxx saying that MS is not compatible with anything and it has nothing to
do with Apple.

Go figure

...winston

It's actually a lot simpler. Outlook doesn't need to be aware only handshake. Itunes does all the work communicating to Outlook or the Windows Address Book(wab), retrieving and sending to the Ipod or Iphone.

Toggle on the Contacts/Calendar option on the Ipod or Iphone to make respective menu option available. Plug/connect an Iphone or Ipod to a pc, open Itunes, select the Ipod or Iphone in Itunes/Devices..toggle on Contacts for Outlook(all contacts, selected groups etc).....Its done. No more settings ever again. Connect in the future, everything is automatically updated.

Other options are available if a Mac or other email clients are used.

The phone then becomes an extension for email, phone etc..

I tested one for 2 months for a local firm...It's actually a nice piece of equipment(overrpriced at the time, limited to ATT network for phone etc). Is it ready to replace the PDA/Blackberry..almost, but not yet.

...winston

: That is not at all surprising, is it. There is no way that even the latest
: version of Outlook, or Vista for that matter, is aware of a product that
: comes out after Outlook or the operating system was introduced.
:
: I guess that people expect Microsoft to be mind readers and fortune tellers.
:
: --
:
:
: Regards,
:
: Richard Urban
: Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
: (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
:
:
:
: : Richard
:
: Today there was a post in the microsoft.public.outlook by an OP stating that
: he stood in line to get his iPphone yesterday and he is not capable to sync
: it with Outlook on his computer and his contacts from outlook does not
: install.
: The OP was told to contact Apple for info on the above and he hissed and
: xxxxx saying that MS is not compatible with anything and it has nothing to
: do with Apple.
:
: Go figure
:
: --
: Peter
:
: Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
: Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
:
: : > If I were trying to install a Panasonic after market radio in a Ford, and
: > found it wouldn't work, I certainly would not go to Ford for assistance. I
: > would go to Panasonic.
: >
: > In your case - try Apple.
: >
: > --
: >
: >
: > Regards,
: >
: > Richard Urban
: > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
: > (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
: >
: >
: >
: > : >> it downloads fine but when it comes to install it says quicktime can't
: >> install due to error 2738. i don't have a clue what to do. can anyone
: >> help?
: >
:

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Open an elevated Command Prompt to register the module vbscript.dll. To open an elevated Command Prompt, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following in the Command Prompt window:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Press ENTER

More information:

Error "VBScript is not installed" when installing iTunes in a Windows Vista computer:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/174/1/

iTunes and QuickTime for Windows cannot be installed without Visual Basic Script (VBScript):

it downloads fine but when it comes to install it says quicktime can't
install due to error 2738. i don't have a clue what to do. can anyone help?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Windows Installer 2738 is "Could not access VBScript run time for custom action".
This error is caused by a custom action that is based on Dynamic-Link Libraries.

Windows Installer Error Messages (Windows):
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/aa372835.aspx

Registering VBSCRIPT.DLL from an Admin Command Prompt should certainly fix this problem.

I got the same error, but it also suggests downloading and installing
manually which I did and it works just fine.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

I get this or a similar error

What's the exact error message? It might be a different one from the original post.

I have tried this action ad infinitum with no success. I've used the
elevated command prompt, and I've even disabled the UAC so I don't have
to use the elevated command prompt. I get told that the registration was
successful, but every time I try to install iTunes - both 7.2 and 7.3 -
I get this or a similar error. I have a pre-installed Vista Ultimate on
an HP. I do have iTunes 7.0 installed, though...good thing I didn't get
an iPhone or I'd be dead in the water.

Does anyone have any -other- suggestions to get this working? Like how
does a manual install work, if that can bypass the issue?

Thanks.

Ramesh said:
Open an elevated Command Prompt to register the module vbscript.dll. To
open an elevated Command Prompt, click Start, click All Programs, click
Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as
administrator.

Type the following in the Command Prompt window:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Press ENTER

More information:

Error "VBScript is not installed" when installing iTunes in a Windows
Vista computer:
'Error \"VBScript is not installed\" when installing iTunes in a
Windows Vista computer' (http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/174/1/)

iTunes and QuickTime for Windows cannot be installed without Visual
Basic Script (VBScript):
'iTunes and QuickTime for Windows cannot be installed without Visual
Basic Script (VBScript)'
(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304405)

Windows® Troubleshooting 'Winhelponline.com'
(http://www.winhelponline.com)

it downloads fine but when it comes to install it says quicktime can't
install due to error 2738. i don't have a clue what to do. can anyone
help?

keepout

Uninstall quick time. logon to apples itunes site, and install the new itunes.
the key to most problems like this is uninstall the old 1st. then installthe new.
You can also uninstall old itunes, but shouldn't have to.
BACK up the ITUNES songs before any deletion/installations.

I've had Vista DELETE my entire system drive with no warning, 'to continue will erase everything'
They couldn't spare 36 characters on the HD for a warning about erasing the HD.
The error is the same, 2738, when trying to install Quicktime. Then the
installer says iTunes requires Quicktime, so the install can't continue.

"kmac23va" <kmac23va******.com> wrote in message

I have tried this action ad infinitum with no success. I've used the
elevated command prompt, and I've even disabled the UAC so I don't have
to use the elevated command prompt. I get told that the registration
was
successful, but every time I try to install iTunes - both 7.2 and 7.3 -
I get this or a similar error. I have a pre-installed Vista Ultimate on
an HP. I do have iTunes 7.0 installed, though...good thing I didn't get
an iPhone or I'd be dead in the water.

Does anyone have any -other- suggestions to get this working? Like how
does a manual install work, if that can bypass the issue?

Thanks.
kmac23va

keepout

I just tried to uninstall Quicktime...and I got a 2738 error trying to
do that. I'm in a catch-22 it seems. Any other ideas?

I don't have a link for it other than it's available from M$ in their downloads. it's called windows install cleanup.
If quick time is still in your add/remove section, use this utility to remove the rest of it.
Once you have that, see if the C:\program files\quick time directory still exists . If so, you can delete even if it says this may cause otherprograms that require it to stop working. You're fixing to reinstall thenewest version..
That should finish things. If you feel comfortable using regedit, you could also delete any residual quick time keys. But I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know which keys belonged ONLY to quick time.

do a reboot: and try to reinstall itunes.
still fails, remove itunes the same way you removed quick time.
reboot, and try to reinstall itunes. quick time comes with itunes.

I've seen and heard of this problem myself and had a minor glitch myself.The removal reinstall did the trick for me.

I've had to go at the registry. But the way to do that is to single step thru the install.log file with search and delete in regedit. Only way to do that is to install, and use the log. Unless it installs correctly.

And ALWAYS BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. If Itunes runs you could use it's backup util. Or just copy the itunes directory to another drive, CD, DVD..
I actually have mine on another drive, CD & DVD.

If you save the iTunes setup program to your drive and then try to install by
opening that file, you will sometimes get the message "not a valid Win32
application". Instead of saving the download, select "run" and the program
should install normally. If it still won't install, see below.

I had the same problem with iTunes/QuickTime and Roxio/Sonic. Before Vista
will let you update/install a newer version of a program, all remnants of the
program must be completely removed from your system. Since the Vista
uninstall feature sometimes does a poor job at this, these remnants often
have to be removed manually. The following tutorial shows how to do this:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/87249-unable-install-latest-version-program-vista.html