Is this a scam? Paypal:

Reaction score
I'm trying to sell my phone, had a few responses via gumtree, and this one feller, who i'm suspicious about.

He claims to have sent me money via paypal, however it's not showing in my paypal account yet.

It's from paypal.com not paypal.co.uk, i'm very suspicious.

The strange thing is, that my paypal is attached to another email address of mine and not my main one.

However i still recieved an email from paypal to BOTH accounts claiming i recieved money ... strange? Or is this a new feature i've missed out on lol

Opinions please!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does this guy have good feedback so far? I'm always incredibly wary about selling electronics items via paypal.

I'm not sure I understand how you've got an e-mail from another e-mail address, was it connected to gumtree at all and found that way perhaps?

If you log in to your account (not by clicking on any e-mail links) and the money doesn't show in there, then I'd be very suspicious.

Reaction score
Thing is, i've requested the money also so i have back up on my side if something goes wrong, but i'm pretty sure, 90% sure, he just sends automated emails, i've text him also, no reply, so he can jog on if he thinks i'm posting it, to Nigeria also ... think he failed, was a good attempt at scamming, i need to keep up to date with all these scams!

Also, since when did paypal start "holding" onto money then "releasing" it once they recieved a tracking number or something like that ... i think this is lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Serious... to Nigeria? :eek: That's a scam a mile off, so I'd avoid!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd stick with selling to the UK only for high value items, as that way it's going to be much more difficult to be scammed. And for something as expensive as a phone, I'd only sell to people with some existing feedback too.

Ebay used to be full of 0 feedback people bidding on tens of items, trying to get them posted to Nigera or internet cafes in London. Almost everyone that fell in to that group was a scammer :(

Reaction score
Sucks, well, i've found a trade for my samsung i890HD for a blackberry 9700 and she claims to be sending me £30 too (i asked for added payment since it was the main reason i was selling for profit then to buy a blackberry)

She says she is posting tomorrow, i intend to wait for the arrival of it (if it happens) then post mine, i ain't taking no risks!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
OP: Scam!

Post above = Lucked out tbh. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Belloni, be very very careful.

I had lots of scammers contact me when I listed items at Gumtree.

Lots of people may also just ask you a question then when you reply they've harvested your e-mail address for spamming.

I would only take payment by bank transfer, cheque or cash for expensive items.

And even then, after a bank transfer or cheque clearing, take the cash out of the account the moment it clears.

(I edited a comment out here as I misunderstood the Blackberry deal).

Make sure the Blackberry works perfectly before parting with your Samsung.

Smells of a scam to me.

You are now unwittingly the target of many nasty people.

Reaction score
Yeah, definatly checking the phone etc, checking my SIM works, then i can contact Orange to add Blackberry Internet Service to my contract once i know it works.

Let's hope all is well! She says it's sealed, so that's a good start.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Belloni said:
What do you mean i lucked out? :(
Well imo that deal sounds a bit too good to be true, but you never know.

Either they are taking crap or you lucked out as they dont know what their doing etc.

Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Well, hopefully, if she "delivers" tomorrow, then we'll know, i'm not delivering anything i can wait :)

I know it's a good deal but we'll see, no harm in waiting :D

She says she's pregnant and that it's for her niece (my phone)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
hmmmmm.

So how does this work on Guntree? You posting or meeting up?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Something smells fishy for sure.

Why would she tell you she's pregnant?

Maybe to convince you she's a defenceless vulnerable girlie, before she whacks you over the head with a baseball bat...

Oh, I dunno, it could be genuine but please keep your wits about you.

Reaction score
Mostly you meet up on gum tree from what i gather.

However, after speaking to her, telling her i have no money as of yet (hence trying to sell the phone) she said i can give her half the money now, then when i recieve it, finish off the payment, to which i still couldn't pay, she asked what phone i had to sell, i told her, she asked what condition it was in, and wondered about a straight up trade. I said i was mainly in it to make around £70 to buy a hard drive, then we came to an agreement of £30 (which i don't mind, any money is good money to me at the mo) she asked if i wanted special delivery, and if i could send a tracking number as she will to. She says the blackberry is unlocked (which is what i wanted in the first place, hence me emailing her) and brand new sealed etc.

EDIT: She told me she was pregnant when i asked about adding £50 on top of the trade to me, she said she was pregnant and trying to save. I know it sounds a cop out, but again, i'm not loosing out on anything since no money is being exchanged on my behalf in this deal so and no phone is being packaged and sent!

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Me thinks shes seen you coming tbh...

Ask a Question