Is this a hoax?

Pebso's NewsGroups

Hello I have just received the following email message. I have never
used the name "Dusty Hutchinson" Is it a hoax or could someone being
spamming using my e-mail addy, please?

Regards Pebso

Message follows:-

Your e-mail has been identified as unsolicited junk and has been deleted
without being opened. All details associated with the e-mail have been
logged and will be forwarded to the relevant authorities who will
consider legal action against you under new anti-spamming laws.

--------------------

From: "Dusty Hutchinson" <[email protected]>
To: "Pebso" <[email protected]>
Subject: toward 5975 or
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:

CWatters

Pebso's NewsGroups said:
Hello I have just received the following email message. I have never
used the name "Dusty Hutchinson" Is it a hoax or could someone being
spamming using my e-mail addy, please?

The latter but probably not "someone" exactly. Most likely there is a PC out
there somewhere that is infected with a virus/bot that is either sending out
copies of itself or is being used to send spam by email. Some rather dim
computer network administrators set up their systems to automatically reply
to spammers (eg with warnings like that you received). This is just plain
daft because replying is the last thing you should do. It just contributes
to the problem of excess traffic.

JerryMouse

Pebso's NewsGroups said:
Hello I have just received the following email message. I have never
used the name "Dusty Hutchinson" Is it a hoax or could someone being
spamming using my e-mail addy, please?

Regards Pebso

Computers don't make mistakes.

If this is only one of a few "bounces," there's probably a virus out there
that has grabbed someone's address list.

If this is one of hundreds of bounces, someone has used your email address
as the "FROM" address in a spam run.

There's nothing you can do about either.

Pebso

JAX said:
Contact your ISP and tell them about the problem. They can best advise you.

LOL, JAX

From: "Dusty Hutchinson" <[email protected]>
To: "Pebso" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:
Thanks all of you, I've sent a copy to BTInternet my ISP.

Pebso

JAX

You're welcome, Pebso. Good luck.

JAX

Pebso said:
JAX said:
Contact your ISP and tell them about the problem. They can best advise you.

LOL, JAX

Hello I have just received the following email message. I have never
used the name "Dusty Hutchinson" Is it a hoax or could someone being
spamming using my e-mail addy, please?

Regards Pebso

Message follows:-

Your e-mail has been identified as unsolicited junk and has been deleted
without being opened. All details associated with the e-mail have been
logged and will be forwarded to the relevant authorities who will
consider legal action against you under new anti-spamming laws.

--------------------

Thanks all of you, I've sent a copy to BTInternet my ISP.

Pebso

Alex Nichol

Pebso's NewsGroups said:
Hello I have just received the following email message. I have never
used the name "Dusty Hutchinson" Is it a hoax or could someone being
spamming using my e-mail addy, please?

Regards Pebso

What has probably happened is that a virus on some machine has picked
that persons address from the address book to send itself on to, and has
picked yours - also in the book - to pretend to come 'From' and 'Reply
to'. And the checking program on the receiving machine is so old it
does not realise this happens, so is sending the complaint to you.
Nothing you can do about it except swear as you delete the mail

Pebso

Alex said:
Pebso's NewsGroups wrote:

What has probably happened is that a virus on some machine has picked
that persons address from the address book to send itself on to, and has
picked yours - also in the book - to pretend to come 'From' and 'Reply
to'. And the checking program on the receiving machine is so old it
does not realise this happens, so is sending the complaint to you.
Nothing you can do about it except swear as you delete the mail
Will do, thanks.