Is there SFC in Vista?

Juan I. Cahis

Dear friends:

When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Mac

Seems MS still advocate it... never bothered with it myself...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Dear friends:

When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Mac

Should add for others reading that this usage applies to

.. Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition
.. Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition
.. Windows Vista Business
.. Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition
.. Windows Vista Enterprise
.. Windows Vista Ultimate

ONLY

Dear friends:

When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Mike Mueller

When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

I never thought of using it as a maintenance item, more of a repair item.

Anyways, SFC is still there, and this MSKB article will tell you how to do
it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Malke

Mike said:
---- Original Message ----- From: "Juan I. Cahis"
<[email protected]>
When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

I never thought of using it as a maintenance item, more of a repair item.

Anyways, SFC is still there, and this MSKB article will tell you how to
do it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Yes, the System File Checker is in Vista.

No, it isn't necessary to run it periodically. It wasn't necessary in XP
and it isn't necessary in Vista. The KB article may advocate it, but in
Real Life(tm) one normally only uses the System File Checker if
something is wrong.

Malke

John Barnett MVP

The system file checker (SFC) is available in Vista and is used in exactly
the same way as with Windows XP. However, using it once a month isn't really
necessary. The last time I used it was about 12 months ago on XP and I've
never, as yet, used it on Vista.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Dear friends:

When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

R. McCarty

It (SFC) is really a self-maintaining utility.The only way an unexpected
version file could exist if it the warning prompt is dismissed by the user.
I've never real seen the value in running it manually or as a diagnostic
tool for Windows issues.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

I believe it will on any version of Vista. It can be used as part of a
troubleshooting scenario if you are having problems with an unknown source.
I would not run it as a part of a periodic maintenance routine.

Chad Harris

Hello Juan.

There is SFC in Vista. It has changed architecturally for the better
actually. Anyone who hasn't seen great value in running it has missed a
basic tenant of Windows and still perhaps reached the MVP hall of fame.

The basic value of running it is that it can fix badly broken systemically
disrupted components of Windows, including those of IE and Win Mail. And on
XP it can fix all those and OE.

SFC or System File Checker is a bit like the spare tire in your car or a
backup battery I suppose. In Vista of course, they have changed it somewhat
and come up with a new name--Redmond stands for name it something different
twice a year and now it's part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection. It
scans protected resources including thousands of files, libraries, critical
folders, and essential registry keys, and it replaces those that are
corrupted with intact ones. It fixes a lot of problems in Windows XP, OE,
Windows Vista, Win Mail, IE6, and on Vista or if it is installed on XP, IE7.
It protects these things from changes by any source including
administrators, by keeping a spare of most of them.

How to Run SFC:

Type "cmd" into the Search box above the Start Button>and when cmd comes up
at the top of the Start menu>right click cmd and click "run as Admin" and
when the cmd prompt comes up at the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow" no quotes
and let it run. This may fix things quite a bit. It replaces corrupt files
with intact ones, if you're not familiar with it.

SFC in Vista has been elevated to part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection
which also prevents poorly written drivers from corrupting the registry.
Protected resources include:

Executable files, libraries, and other critical files.
Crucial Folders
Essential registry keys installed by Vista.

WRP keeps you from modifying protected resources, even if you have
administrative control.

CH

Dear friends:

When I had WinXP installed in my computer, I used to run SFC /SCANNOW
every month on it. I don't remember who make that recommendation to
me, but I kept the practice of doing it.

But now that I upgraded my computer to Vista Business, Is there SFC in
Vista? If it exists, is it also a good idea to run it periodically?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
How are we defining this as a self-maintaining utility?
The protection is in the ACL now rather than in the service like it used to
be.
So the ACL is what is preventing the file from being overwritten or
modified in Windows VIsta, rather than the service watching for directory
change notifications and changing the file back after the fact.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]