Is there no msconfig in Win2000

PeterM

I wonder if I can install, or if someone can help me with msconfig, I can't
find it in win2000. (very very new to win2000)..........

Dave Patrick

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys. (note that this window is read-only so you must
manually navigate to the location below to edit or otherwise delete)

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory
or AutoRuns from sysinternals
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
|I wonder if I can install, or if someone can help me with msconfig, I can't
| find it in win2000. (very very new to win2000)..........

jrg

[...]

err, from what I saw in OP, how does this relate?
Yes, msconfig /does/ handle such items, but I didn't see that alluded to
in the original question, which was, how to install msconfig?
being new to w2000 myself, I found msconfig to be missing and was able
to d/l it off the net, I forget where but doing a Google on it will find
it for you...

The WinXP pro one will work.

Slightly naughty from a licensing point of view I guess, but I don't think
Bill will mind ;-)

Dave Patrick

Re-read the post. The OP clearly wants a means to manipulate startup apps.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| err, from what I saw in OP, how does this relate?
| Yes, msconfig /does/ handle such items, but I didn't see that alluded to
| in the original question, which was, how to install msconfig?
| being new to w2000 myself, I found msconfig to be missing and was able
| to d/l it off the net, I forget where but doing a Google on it will find
| it for you...

jrg

Re-read the post. The OP clearly wants a means to manipulate startup apps.

I'm not looking for a pissing contest, but this is the entire post I see
(excuse the headers):

From: "PeterM" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
Subject: Is there no msconfig in Win2000
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:11:23 -0800

I wonder if I can install, or if someone can help me with msconfig, I can't
find it in win2000. (very very new to win2000)..........

*/

I see nothing about startup apps here. Sorry...

Dave Patrick

Sorry, I should have pointed out that msconfig is for controlling startup
apps, services etc.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| I'm not looking for a pissing contest, but this is the entire post I see
| (excuse the headers):
| I see nothing about startup apps here. Sorry...

jrg

Sorry, I should have pointed out that msconfig is for controlling startup
apps, services etc.
Knew that - OP requested help in locating msconfig, which appeared to be
missing, which it is in w2000, AFAIK...

Dave Patrick

When you've been reading these groups as long as I have you learn to read
the intent of the post. It's a waste of everyone's time to post a reply
simply to say that something doesn't exist.