Is there a viable alternative to GMail?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... probably not.

I really don't like how Google just seem to alter "your experience" by redesigning things like GMail.

One was actually given an option to opt-out, some time ago, I probably got the notification and thought, WTF is this and ignored it. Sigh!

Now I'm stuck with the "new look" interface which causes me to press umteen tabs just to find what would have been on my main screen in the first place ... with NO bloody clicking about.

Google, I'm looking for an alternative to your meddling ... if it ain't broke, STOP fecking fixing it!

:mad:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TBH, Mucks, I haven't noticed any recent changes. It all seems as it always was. Have I missed something? :confused:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If you click on the Setting cog do you have the option to 'Go back to classic Gmail'?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If you click on the Setting cog do you have the option to 'Go back to classic Gmail'?

No, but I do have "Try the new Gmail" which I, clearly, haven't clicked. I shall leave well alone. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
No, but I do have "Try the new Gmail" which I, clearly, haven't clicked. I shall leave well alone. :)

I'm using the new interface and I quite like it, but maybe it's just me :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

They disable that, you cannot go back ... :rolleyes:

gmail.PNG

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Does that mean that "Go back to classic Gmail is only for those that are already on it? :confused::D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Does that mean that "Go back to classic Gmail is only for those that are already on it? :confused::D

I think it means that if you're on the new Gmail you have the option of going back to the classic version, but I don't know how long that option is available for.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I still have the option to go back, but I won't as I like the new look.

If its just that tabs then you can turn them off by going to the settings cog > Configure Inbox. Untck all the optional boxes.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I view both my gmail addresses through Thunderbird and haven't noticed anything different.

There's always Outlook.... ;)

And, sometimes, a person can get used to new things and actually prefer them.

The last statement does not apply to The Edge browser and possibly does not apply to Windows 10 :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://protonmail.com/pricing

Proton Mail is neat and 48 euros works out to be about 85p a week.

They do a free VPN as well as free mail. Both first level VPN and Mail are 48 euros which is a decent deal imho.

Existing ProtonMail users with paid plans are eligible for a -20% Bundle Discount. So if you get the mail first then it works out even cheaper.

https://protonvpn.com/secure-vpn

:cool:

Ask a Question