Is SqlServer Express suppose to get installed when VS2008 Pro is installed?

Academia

I was told that SqlServer express should get installed when VS2008Pro is
installed (that is it is on the same DVD).

I had a couple of errors during vs2008's installation and I don't see any
signs of sqlserver.

Is SqlServer Express suppose to get installed when VS2008 Pro is installed?

Or should I download SqlServer and installed it that way?

Thanks

Academia

I think what happened is I had Vs2008 be installed on my second disk but
sqlserver ended up on my system disk.

I would like for sqlserver to be on my second disk.

Can I make that happen?

thanks

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

If you want to install SQL Server Express on a separate disk then you
have to uncheck the option to install SQL Server Express when you install
VS.NET and then run the install for SQL Server Express separately to
indicate that the install should go somewhere else.

Academia

Nicholas Paldino said:
If you want to install SQL Server Express on a separate disk then you
have to uncheck the option to install SQL Server Express when you install
VS.NET and then run the install for SQL Server Express separately to
indicate that the install should go somewhere else.

Reinstall it from the vs2008Pro disk?
Or download it?

Thanks

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Academia said:
I think what happened is I had Vs2008 be installed on my second disk but
sqlserver ended up on my system disk.

I would like for sqlserver to be on my second disk.

Can I make that happen?

thanks

Academia

I tried the add/remove on the vs2008 installation and there is no option to
do anything with sqlserver.

Are you saying to use the control panel to uninstall sqlserver and then
install independently of vs2008?

thanks

Academia said:
I think what happened is I had Vs2008 be installed on my second disk but
sqlserver ended up on my system disk.

I would like for sqlserver to be on my second disk.

Can I make that happen?

thanks

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Are you sure? You have to do a custom install, and it should be one of
the last checkboxes in the tree of options on the left when you are
selecting the items to install/uninstall.

And I think you should download SQL Server Express separately and
install that.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Academia said:
I think what happened is I had Vs2008 be installed on my second disk but
sqlserver ended up on my system disk.

I would like for sqlserver to be on my second disk.

Can I make that happen?

thanks

I was told that SqlServer express should get installed when VS2008Pro is
installed (that is it is on the same DVD).

I had a couple of errors during vs2008's installation and I don't see
any signs of sqlserver.

Is SqlServer Express suppose to get installed when VS2008 Pro is
installed?

Or should I download SqlServer and installed it that way?

Thanks

Academia

thanks for the help.

I just got a copy of SqlServer 2005 from my professor.

He's not ready to give out installation instructions but I want to try early
because I may have problems since I do not want it on the system disk.

I plan on removing the express version and then try to install the standard
edition.

I think I'll need a little help because I don't think it installs as easy as
vs2005.

Do I have to do more than just running setup on the first cd?

Can you point me to a site with installation info?

Thanks a lot

Nicholas Paldino said:
[...]

The installation should be pretty self-explanatory, but here is a link
in case you need more info:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143516.aspx

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Academia said:
I tried the add/remove on the vs2008 installation and there is no option
to do anything with sqlserver.

Are you saying to use the control panel to uninstall sqlserver and then
install independently of vs2008?

thanks

in message If you want to install SQL Server Express on a separate disk then
[...]

I started the sql2005 installation and cancelled so that could ask the
following:

All I'll need to do with sql2005 is access one of the sample databases and
create a new small database .
I believe that I'll also need to put some kind of code in the database.

During the installation I can install:
Upgrade Adviser
SQL Server Database Services
Analysis Services
Reporting Services
Notification Services
Integration Services
Workstation components, Books Online, and development tools.

Should I select all of the above?
I rather not have services running that I don't require.

Also, I have VS2008 installed already.
During that installation I receives the error message:
Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source:Xtreme Sample Database 2008.
ODBC error 6: Component not found in registry...

Is there something I should do to make vs2008 aware that sql2005 in now
installed?

Thanks

Nicholas Paldino said:
Are you sure? You have to do a custom install, and it should be one
of the last checkboxes in the tree of options on the left when you are
selecting the items to install/uninstall.

And I think you should download SQL Server Express separately and
install that.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

I tried the add/remove on the vs2008 installation and there is no option
to do anything with sqlserver.

Are you saying to use the control panel to uninstall sqlserver and then
install independently of vs2008?

thanks