Is Pocket Access for sale? (ms access for a pocket pc)

I have seen when I sync my PDA with my pc it has an option to synchronise
"pocket access".

I have gone through the settings, but my PDA wont read it. I can only say
that it was a "suck it and see" test. So i come to the conclusion that my pda
does not have pocket access.

I have tried looking for pocket access sales etc. but cant find anywhere (or
any PDA that uses it!).

Could you please point me in the right direction so that I can run a
database off my PDA? (the database at the moment is an MS Access database).

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Rick Brandt

[Snip]
I have tried looking for pocket access sales etc. but cant find anywhere (or
any PDA that uses it!). [Snip]

My (completely hearsay) understanding is that Pocket Access only came
embedded in the devices that have it. It cannot be purchased and added to
a device that didn't come with it. It is also poorly named as it bears no
resemblance at all to the PC product.

It is a bit confusing isn't it. The Access feature on Activesync apparently
allows transfer of files to the Pocket PC that can then be read by Windows
SQL and ADOCE... i think ... read that in a book at a bookstore when trying
to kill time ... never tried it!

Rick Brandt said:
[Snip]
I have tried looking for pocket access sales etc. but cant find anywhere (or
any PDA that uses it!). [Snip]

My (completely hearsay) understanding is that Pocket Access only came
embedded in the devices that have it. It cannot be purchased and added to
a device that didn't come with it. It is also poorly named as it bears no
resemblance at all to the PC product.

Brendan Reynolds

Pocket Access is like a version of the Jet database engine for the Pocket
PC. Like Jet, it has no user interface, you can only use it
programmatically. The ActiveSync program that comes with the Pocket PC can
convert from the Jet MOB format to the Pocket Access COB format and vice
versa when synchronising, but purely on a file-by-file basis, there's no
synchronisation of data within files.

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)
http://brenreyn.blogspot.com

The spammers and script-kiddies have succeeded in making it impossible for
me to use a real e-mail address in public newsgroups. E-mail replies to
this post will be deleted without being read. Any e-mail claiming to be
from brenreyn at indigo dot ie that is not digitally signed by me with a
GlobalSign digital certificate is a forgery and should be deleted without
being read. Follow-up questions should in general be posted to the
newsgroup, but if you have a good reason to send me e-mail, you'll find
a useable e-mail address at the URL above.

Richard Hennessy said:
It is a bit confusing isn't it. The Access feature on Activesync
apparently
allows transfer of files to the Pocket PC that can then be read by Windows
SQL and ADOCE... i think ... read that in a book at a bookstore when
trying
to kill time ... never tried it!

[Snip]

"Brendan Reynolds" <brenreyn at indigo dot ie> wrote in message
convert from the Jet MOB format to the Pocket Access COB format and vice
<snip>

Darn that speel chucker! That's MDB and CDB.

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)
http://brenreyn.blogspot.com

The spammers and script-kiddies have succeeded in making it impossible for
me to use a real e-mail address in public newsgroups. E-mail replies to
this post will be deleted without being read. Any e-mail claiming to be
from brenreyn at indigo dot ie that is not digitally signed by me with a
GlobalSign digital certificate is a forgery and should be deleted without
being read. Follow-up questions should in general be posted to the
newsgroup, but if you have a good reason to send me e-mail, you'll find
a useable e-mail address at the URL above.

Joseph Meehan

Keith said:
Hi,

I have seen when I sync my PDA with my pc it has an option to
synchronise "pocket access".

I have gone through the settings, but my PDA wont read it. I can only
say that it was a "suck it and see" test. So i come to the conclusion
that my pda does not have pocket access.

I have tried looking for pocket access sales etc. but cant find
anywhere (or any PDA that uses it!).

Could you please point me in the right direction so that I can run a
database off my PDA? (the database at the moment is an MS Access
database).

Thanks in advance.

Keith

You may want to take a look at the produces of Dataviz. It may have a
product that will do what you want.

One small problem though ... all their products are for the Palm OS ...

If you want to purchase a DB for PPC then have alook on Handango