Is Access right for what I want to do?

Reaction score
Hey I'm trying to set up an Access database for a small company that I work for and I'm just wondering if Access can do what I think it can do and if Access is right for what we want.

Let me describe the situation:

Basically, the managers at this company would like to keep track of all their active clients (clients meaning companies), all their prospective clients and all the potential clients that they have went for but failed to get (Existing, Prospective, and Lost) and on top of that, keep track of all the basic info about the client (contact person, phone number, address etc.) The second thing they would like to keep track of are their salespeople and which client each sales person is working on so other sales people do not go for another's client.

My vision right now is to have a few separate tables.

The first being a "Master List" that the managers will mainly use. This table will have a column for client name, status (existing, prospective, lost), yes/no for active contract, type of contract, start/end date, and sales person assigned.

The second table will be "client information", so company name, phone number, contact person, email, address etc.

Third table will be "salesperson information", name, address, phone etc.

Now this is when I'm wondering about the functionality of Access and if it will work the way I think it will work. How I imagine the flow would be is that a salesperson will open up a "client information" form, fill out all the information about a prospective/client they just signed, (so contact names, address etc) and on the form they will also indicate that they are the salesperson assigned, and when they save that record, some of the information will create a new record and autofill in the "Master List". Should we be doing it that way? I know there is something about not entering the same data more than once since "Master list" will also have a column showing which sales person is assigned. Should the sales people just give us a list and we enter the information ourselves. Does access allow autofill into other tables?

Sorry that is a lot of information at once. Thanks and I look forward to hearing your feedback guys!

MN

Ask a Question