Is a Nested Formula what I need?

J

JamJam

My apologies if this is not the right place to post this question. I have struggled with it for quite some time and have come across multiple possible answers including the MATCH INDEX and VLOOKUP formulas as well as nested IF,AND,OR functions. I'm not sure what to try...

Currently, I have 5 columns of 'data'. 4 columns either have an 'X' or nothing in them and the fifth column is 'Y', 'N', or nothing. Right now, to the right of that I have 4 different columns, each of which has a different formula in it. For example, my data is in columns E,F,G,H, and I (E,F,H,I are the 'X' columns and G is the 'Y'/'N' column) and to the right of that in separate columns are these formulas:

=IF((AND(E6="X",G6="Y",F6="")),"TO DO"," ")
=IF((AND(H6="X",I6="")),"WRITE BLURB"," ")
=IF((AND(E6="X",G6="")),"CHECK PIC"," ")
=IF((AND(F6="X",H6="")),"ADD TO SNA GP"," ")

What I want to do is to find a way to combine those 4 columns of formulae into 1 column. This spreadsheet is basically a massive checklist for me andthe above formulae tell me what to do for a given row based on which cellsare "checked off", so to speak. My initial thought was to try and figure out how to nest those functions, but I couldn't quite figure out the syntax.. Any thoughts?

A

Alex Plantema

JamJam schreef in
=IF((AND(E6="X",G6="Y",F6="")),"TO DO"," ")
=IF((AND(H6="X",I6="")),"WRITE BLURB"," ")
=IF((AND(E6="X",G6="")),"CHECK PIC"," ")
=IF((AND(F6="X",H6="")),"ADD TO SNA GP"," ")

What I want to do is to find a way to combine those 4 columns of
formulae into 1 column. This spreadsheet is basically a massive
checklist for me and the above formulae tell me what to do for a
given row based on which cells are "checked off", so to speak. My
initial thought was to try and figure out how to nest those
functions, but I couldn't quite figure out the syntax. Any thoughts?

If the conditions would exclude each other you could simply replace each else part (the " ") by the next formula, without the starting equal sign.
But that's not possible here because more than one condition can yield true simultaneously:
The ones in lines 1 and 2, or in lines 2 and 3, or in lines 3 and 4.
E.g. you would see both TO DO and WRITE BLURB if E6="X", F6="", G6="Y", H6="X" and I6="",
which would change if you combined them into one formula.

Ask a Question