Windows XP Irq Hard Times

Reaction score
Hello everyone im encountering a very hard problem and im really stuck after a long term of tests.
The problem is the IRQ assignments. The problem in fact came with one of my clients pc, he own an old system which using it for very simple things, the specs are :
AMD Athlon 2600+ (Socket A), M/B ASUS A7N8-X, 2x RAM Kingston 512/400 , 2 ATAPI drives and 2 ide disks, OS XP Pro SP3.

The whole thing start when the VGA went off, so i checked the mobo specs to order him a new vga, which is AGP by the way. So i bought the ASUS AH3450 Series AGPx8. The system boot normally the OS and asked about drivers, i had allready download the last drivers from ATi, and i did the installation which went normally until he asked for reboot. After reboot the problems started, i had win boot freeze or sometimes he freezed inside system, after logon screen. So i changed the drivers may times same again. Anyway i tired a clean install of xp and everything went normal, also the driver installation went normal cause i left vga driver for the end. When i install normally the driver or manually i same the same problem as above. So i checked the event viewer and i saw the error saying :

IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 0, function 1. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Till now the IRQ setting was controlled by the BIOS as Auto(ECSD). I turn them to Manual and i changed the IRQ 9-10-11 to Reserved. After that the system could load the driver normally and see graphics at full range. BUT the error doesnt left, i still get the same ACPI IRQ error on event log.

So i wanted to ask any suggestions or ideas how to overpass this one.

thanks in advance and sorry if the post is BIG enough

Reaction score
IRQ Hard Times:Reply to Thread

"IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device
in PCI slot 0, function 1. Please contact your system
vendor for technical assistance."

Sometimes it makes a difference in what order devices are
loaded. I have shut down in the bios all the ports and other
devices that aren't immediately needed for a boot up. Load the
video driver at the earliest time that the computer will allow
you to do so. Then if you're successful start turning on other
devices so drivers can be loaded for them. If this doesn't work
you'll have to obtain a video driver that's compatible w/your
motherboard and operating system.

Reaction score
JIM Thanks in advance but i solved the problem,

After spending my half weekend to checking whats wrong i took the procedure from the begging checking the 2 components specs. The problem solved after i removed the Ati and put inside an older agp card, was an Viper V770 32Mb. After reboot no ACPI IRQ problems found on event log. Seen that thing made me thought the procedure again. Ati it is an agp x8 card but needs 5.5V on agp slot which the asus couldnt support even the mobo said that can support x4/x8 agp cards. Weird though so after all this mess i told him that ill leave him that card inside and work the machine typical.

So thanks again

Ask a Question