IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

pinsinhung

I have the same problem,I think the error is MS Hoamail server
No body can help us ?

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Hi Brian & Steve,

I tried to contact other engineers to see if they have encounter this
specific issue. It seems the issue does not related to the Excel
application (it could be reproduced on any machine), it seems more related
to the .net passport.

I also find it is a trial service and services description in the agreement:

Services Description. You may use the Services to authenticate your user
account using your Windows Live ID and a rights account certificate
assigned to you. Once established as a valid user and your credentials
confirmed, you may use the Services to protect or use rights-protected
content. You are solely responsible for determining the appropriateness of
using the Services, and assume all risks associated with using the
Services, including but not limited to risks and costs of program errors,
compliance with applicable laws, damage to or loss of programs or
equipment, and unavailability or interruption of operations.

We did understand the document are important and we will try our best to
provide some information that may help us open the document again.

First, let's directly contact MSN support for the Windows Live ID to see if
they can provide any fix.

https://support.msn.com/

Also, let's try:

1. If we protect a new document with the .net passport, will it work?

2. Please change your Windows Live ID password to test the issue.

Hope the steps would be helpful to narrow down the root cause.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

| From: Steve Won <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:23:23 -0800 (PST)
|
| Daisy,
|
| This problem should be supported by an IRM expert/development team in
| Microsoft.
| They should know exactly what we're talking about if they read the
| articles in this newsgroup.
| I can't believe people can't get a proper support from Microsoft for
| the critical problems like this caused by Microsoft for almost 1
| week.
| Would Microsoft start taking an action if this issue comes up on the
| news next to the Windows 7 commercial?
|
| By the way, you can simply try to use IRM service for your excel
| document through putting "restrict access" function on it, then you'll
| understand what it is.
|
| Thanks,
| Steve

Ollie Maitland

It is hard to believe that something like this actually has not become
a wider problem. Afterall this is likely to mean that people are not
able to access those documents that are most important to them.

For the general information I too am experiencing authentication
failure through files protected by IRM using the MSN Passport
services. Changing the password did not help with the document
protected before 18th November.

Creating a new document does, however, work and can be reopened.

The issue appears to be restricted to documents created with Passport
credentials prior to the 18th November.

Any references to other resources would be gratefully received!

Steve Won

Hi Daisy,

In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.

/// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
promotion for 100 days trial.
These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
turn on the engine.
Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
industry for a long time.
So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
Amazon jungle.

Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
any more.
They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
jungle without the cars moving.//

It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
100 days promotion trial cars.
However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
situation?

I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
this failure is huge.

So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?

Thanks,
Steve

avk789

[...]

Thank you all for keeping the issue alive.. the more people like us
join on this better is the chance to get the result.

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

I understand you have contacted our premium support and the support
engineer once contact me to discuss the urgent issue. He is also busy to
finding a person could be help as we all focus on Excel application and
have little knowledge for IRM service and .net passport (windows live ID).

Thank you for your understanding and hope we can find a person soon to take
responsibility of the issue.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

| From: Steve Won <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:11:39 -0800 (PST)
|
| Hi Daisy,
|
| In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
| agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
| try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.
|
| /// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
| promotion for 100 days trial.
| These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
| turn on the engine.
| Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
| fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
| this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
| industry for a long time.
| So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
| Amazon jungle.
|
| Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
| fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
| any more.
| They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
| jungle without the cars moving.//
|
| It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
| 100 days promotion trial cars.
| However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
| situation?
|
| I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
| save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
| this failure is huge.
|
| So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?
|
| Thanks,
| Steve

Steve Won

Hi Daisy,

It is hard to believe that this issue hasn't been delivered to the
right person within Microsoft yet.

Who is supposed to have a responsibility in Microsoft organization
when IRM service fails?
Even small company who operates DRM/IRM service will know the answer
for this kind of question immediately.

Although hotmail and IRM services are free to public, this should be
the service that Microsoft provides/maintains as part of their
business activity.
So, wouldn't Microsoft need to take a Disater Recovery plan to handle
this issue? as one of the Microsoft's business function doesn't work
properly now?

Imagine, ABC bank's internet banking and ATM system doesn't work which
are usually free service to customer.
People hasn't been able to access their account through internet and
ATM machine for 8 days. What action should ABC bank take in this
situation?

High level action must be taken immediately and institutionally to
resolve this issue not only for customers but also for Microsoft
itself.
Please Microsoft, take this issue serioulsy and report this issue to
senior management who can initiate/take the right action for this
issue before customers contact them instead.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Won

Shouldn't Microsoft stop IRM service now unitl this issue is fixed in
orde to prevent creating new victims?

There will be a lot of people who have subscribed this IRM service
since Nov 18 and many of them wouldn't know that they are exposed to
this kind of high risk.

CHEW

Same problem here. I can not access Excel files that I have been accessing
almost daily for a very long time.

opdan

I have the same problem. It looks like so many people are affected why
Microsoft is not addressing that?

jflarmour

Steve Won said:
[...]

.

jflarmour

Steve Won said:
[...]

I am also seeing this problem in both EXCEL2003 and 2007

jmyers06

I am having the same issue and have had it since the 18th of Nov. I
understand that this is not an Excel problem, but could someone please engage
an IRM engineer to come read the damn post and the many others that are out
there? This is a a real issue with a service that MS provides. The "trial"
bit is BS since I have been using the service for 3 or 4 years now. No, I do
not pay for it, but I do support MS when I purchase Win 7 Office 07 and all
the other rMS products I pay to use.

Pleas, please, PLEASE someone put this in the hands of the group that
supports this trial service.

I willl discontinue the use of this service as soon as I am able to unlock
the documents that I already have using it.

Brian

Hello all,
I had one of our admins open a critical support issue with a Microsoft
engineer. Here is the text of the last email we receibed--

Here's the official response from the RMS dev team:

We have recently become aware of an issue with Microsoft Information Rights
Management Trial Service. Some users may not be able to open protected
content that use this service. Please note that Enterprise customers using
their own internal RMS 1.0 and AD RMS infrastructure are not affected by
this issue.

We have isolated the root cause of this issue. To resolve this, we need to
make a change to the Microsoft Information Rights Management Trial Service.
Please rest assured that your content will continue to be accessible after
this change is in place.

It is the RMS team's top priority to bring this issue to resolution. We
will need to devote additional development and test time to ensure a high
quality fix . We estimate that we can address the issue which requires the
development and testing of a fix within the next few weeks.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption this issue has caused and will
provide any updates ASAP.

I'll keep you informed of any updates as they occur, please let me know if
you have any questions or concerns.

All I have right now...

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

I understand you have contacted our premium support David, as far I know,
David have tried to contact IRM service support for you, you may also share
the information here from David.

In addition, please try the suggestions to narrow down the problem and also
directly contact MSN support.

https://support.msn.com/

1. If we protect a new document with the .net passport, will it work?

2. Please change your Windows Live ID password to test the issue.

We support Excel application here and we are not the right place for this
specific issue regarding IRM and I appreciate your understanding and
directly contact MSN support.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

| From: Steve Won <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:36:52 -0800 (PST)
|
| Shouldn't Microsoft stop IRM service now unitl this issue is fixed in
| orde to prevent creating new victims?
|
| There will be a lot of people who have subscribed this IRM service
| since Nov 18 and many of them wouldn't know that they are exposed to
| this kind of high risk.

vm63

It would appear Microsoft have fixed the problem. I am now able to access my
files again. I think I'll remove the permissions and think of another way of
protecting my files.

avk789

Hi Steve,

I understand you have contacted our premium support and the support
engineer once contact me to discuss the urgent issue. He is also busy to
finding a person could be help as we all focus onExcelapplication and
have little knowledge forIRMservice and .net passport (windows live ID).

Thank you for your understanding and hope we can find a person soon to take
responsibility of the issue.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

| From: Steve Won <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re:IRMPermission Disappeared in .xlsfile
| Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:11:39 -0800 (PST)
| Organization:http://groups.google.com
|
| Hi Daisy,
|
| In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
| agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
| try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.
|
| /// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
| promotion for 100 days trial.
| These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
| turn on the engine.
| Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
| fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
| this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
| industry for a long time.
| So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
| Amazon jungle.
|
| Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
| fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
| any more.
| They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
| jungle without the cars moving.//
|
| It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
| 100 days promotion trial cars.
| However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
| situation?
|
| I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
| save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
| this failure is huge.
|
| So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?
|
| Thanks,
| Steve

Hey Guys the problem is Resolved.. Thank you All

avk789

Hey Guys the problem is Resolved.. Thank you All- Hide quoted text -

Well the problem is back.. but with a different message.. I should
have removed the restrictions on these files... again back to squar
one..