IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Brian

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Hello Brian,

I understand you have a important xls file that protected by IRM cannot be
opened now.

I can understand how important the issue caused, for the IRM issue, I
suggest we directly contact IRM/RMS engineer for further support.

On my end, I checked this article and would like to know if you are using
Windows XP or Vista and could you open the edit permission window again to
check the permission?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA101029181033.aspx

For this kind of issue, we may have little troubleshooting steps on Excel
application end, you may contact IRM/RMS engineer to check if there is a
way to get the document back.

Thank you for your understanding, hope the issue can be figured out soon.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Brian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:16:41 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
|
| Hello,
| I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
| protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
| I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
| Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
| allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
| from MYSELF.
| Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in
the
| first place.
| No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
| PLEASE HELP!
| Thanks

Brian

Hello Daisy,
I am using Windows XP.
I cannot open the edit permissions window without first being able to open
the file itself - - which I cannot.
How do I get in contact with an IRM/RMS engineer? I do not see a newsgroup
or forum for this subject.
Thank you,
Brian

SangYun Won

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it starts from Nov 18,
2009
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

SangYun Won

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009 (Australia Time)
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

SangYun Won

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

Brian

Nothing yet.
There is another user on the microsoft.public.office.misc newsgroup who had
the exaxt same problem at about the same day as well.

Paul E. Brown Jr.

I also have this problem and I posted it to the General Forum. No reply other
than the one saying someone else has this problem.

This cant be a coincidence that so many have it, starting on the same day.

If anyone finds a result, let us all know.

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Hi Brian, Steve, Paul,

If you all got the issue recently, please help check if you have Automatic
Update enabled, some times, the update may be conflict to some third party
software on your machine and cause unexpected result. You may remove all
updates for Windows and Office after the day that the issue occurred, if
there is any update, don't hesitate to reply here, I will report the issue
immediately for you.

Thank you for the time and effort the issue, hope we can figure out the
root cause soon.

Regards,

Daisy Cao
MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

[NOTICE] This Partner Online Technical Support community has been migrated
to the new Forum technology. Now, you can submit new tech issues to the
POTC on Forum whilst the "New" option will be removed from NNTP newsgroup.
If you still have threads in troubleshooting on the previous NNTP
newsgroup, you can continue following them up on NNTP newsgroup until every
thread is solved. The landing page on the partner portal is at
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories and the first-time user
guide is at http://partner.microsoft.com/40058790. If you have any
questions or encounter any difficulties when loading the POTC on Forum,
please send email to (e-mail address removed).

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no right

--------------------
| From: "Brian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:54:22 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
|
| Nothing yet.
| There is another user on the microsoft.public.office.misc newsgroup who
had
| the exaxt same problem at about the same day as well.
|
| | > Hi Brian,
| >
| > I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
| > 2009
| > I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.
| >

| > Have you got any solution for this?
| >

| > Thanks,
| > Steve

Steve Won

Hi Daisy,

I've actually installed new Windows XP S2 + Office 7 ultimate. And
there were no additional updates.
It means, the system is a fresh condition without any recent updates.
Unfortunately, the result was the same.

By the way, when I installed my credentials into the new system again,
it says that I can only use the same credentials for 28 computers and
now I left only 1 time.
what does this mean?

Thanks,
Steve

Paul E. Brown Jr.

Daisy,

I checked updates and I have none between the date of last file access and
the problem occurring.

I am running Windows 7 and Office 2007 on the machine the file was created
on.

I also copied the file to my flash drive and tried to open it on my laptop
running Windows 7 and Office 2010 Beta with the same result.

I also tried to open it on a Windows XP / Office 2007 machine with the same
result.

If there is anything else you can think of trying, I will be game.

Paul E. Brown Jr., MCITP, MCSE

Rodrigo Martensen

Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

obicanubi

Rodrigo Martensen said:
Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

obicanubi

I have the same problem starting on 11/18/2009 - I tried to open a number of
files that were protected with my live passport. One of them was opened
everyday, being that it holds passwords. I had a saved image of a virtual
machine with one of my protected file in it. I booted that one, there is no
way something changed from 2 weeks ago and the auto updates are not on in
that VM. When I opened the file I got the same issue. The issue is that
something changed in the IRM server where Office connects to check the
credentials against. To sum it up, Microsoft took my access to my own files.
I don't like the situation I'm in right now.

Steve Won

Hi there,

It seems this problem has been created by Microsoft system on Nov 18,
2009.
The impact of this problem should be similar to the one caused by
HOTMAIL service few years ago that a lot of hotmail users lost their
emails and contacts which hotmail server had kept due to the system
error at Microsoft.

At the moment, many people including myself can't access the documents
which have been used for a long time due to this problem.
The fact that we have used Microsoft IRM for our documents explains
that how important our documents having IRM function are for our work
and life.

I really would like to know whether Microsoft can fix this as this
problem is related to encryption technology.
Could someone explain whether it can be fixed by Microsoft or the
chance is low as Microsoft is not capable of fixing this issue due to
the lack of technology or etc although they created this system/
service?

If they can't fix this, I will have to believe that the time will come
soon when Robots can control human due to the system error human
created which was shown in I-Robot Movie.

Thanks,
Steve

DKS

Add me too the list of user who are experiencing the very same problem. I am
using Windows XP Office 2003 and opening this same file very week and now
suddenly it is not opening with no credentials failure. I have tried copying
the file to another computer and still the same problem ;-(

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Hello all,

I can understand the inconvenience you all experienced, it seems the issue
is caused by the HOTMAIL service.

Since we usually support Excel application here, we are not know much about
this service that using live passport to protect excel, could you let me
send me more information such as the page you know the service and how to
configure, I will try to find out which department involves in this issue
and try to contact them directly.

Thank you, I am looking forward to learn more about this service.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

| From: Steve Won <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:21:40 -0800 (PST)
|
| Hi Daisy,
| I've actually installed new Windows XP S2 + Office 7 ultimate. And
| there were no additional updates.
| It means, the system is a fresh condition without any recent updates.
| Unfortunately, the result was the same.
| By the way, when I installed my credentials into the new system again,
| it says that I can only use the same credentials for 28 computers and
| now I left only 1 time.
| what does this mean?
| Thanks,
| Steve
| On Nov 20, 5:38 pm, (e-mail address removed) ("Daisy Cao [MSFT]")
| wrote:
| > Hi Brian, Steve, Paul,
| >
| > If you all got the issue recently, please help check if you have
Automatic
| > Update enabled, some times, the update may be conflict to some third
party
| > software on your machine and cause unexpected result. You may remove all
| > updates for Windows and Office after the day that the issue occurred, if
| > there is any update, don't hesitate to reply here, I will report the
issue
| > immediately for you.
| >
| > Thank you for the time and effort the issue, hope we can figure out the
| > root cause soon.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Daisy Cao
| > MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

Steve Won

Daisy,

This problem should be supported by an IRM expert/development team in
Microsoft.
They should know exactly what we're talking about if they read the
articles in this newsgroup.
I can't believe people can't get a proper support from Microsoft for
the critical problems like this caused by Microsoft for almost 1
week.
Would Microsoft start taking an action if this issue comes up on the
news next to the Windows 7 commercial?

By the way, you can simply try to use IRM service for your excel
document through putting "restrict access" function on it, then you'll
understand what it is.

Thanks,
Steve