iPhone, IE, Firefox, Safari get stomped at hacker contest

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/25/pwn2own_2010_day_one/

"CanSecWest It was another grim day for internet security at the annual Pwn2Own hacker contest Wednesday, with Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Mozilla's Firefox and Apple's Safari and iPhone succumbing to exploits that allowed them to be remotely commandeered.

Like dominoes falling in rapid succession, the platforms were felled in the fourth year of the contest, which has come to underscore the alarming insecurity of most internet-facing software. To qualify for the big-money prizes, the exploits had to attack previously undocumented vulnerabilities to expose sensitive system data or allow the remote execution of malicious code."

Don't tales like the above just make you feel safe and secure whilst surfing the net ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So Opera starts to look like a good choice :D

On the same subject I think my AMD/XP machine has picked up a nasty or become corrupted. A few games/apps won't run and it's showing a whole load of anomalies and quirks.

Either that or after 18 months XP is due for the usual reinstall.

I've backed stuff up, just not looking forward to probably having to do a telephone activation with those wonderful Microsoft people.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Do the clean install and activation, put on any essential progs and do a Acronis full partition , including MBR, backup. Then you can reinstall whenever you like without having to call MS ever again. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Do the clean install and activation, put on any essential progs and do a Acronis full partition , including MBR, backup. Then you can reinstall whenever you like without having to call MS ever again. ;)

I do have an Acronis backup dated 10th January this year actually but I'm wondering how uncorrupted it is.

But what you say is a good idea, will do that thing :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I stuck with Opera ... as a browser, it takes a little getting used to :D

"The web at the moment is pretty scary, actually"
He doesn't play Eve ... :p

:wave:

Ask a Question