IP not released when coming out of standby

V Green

When I put my laptop into Standby, the IP assigned by
DHCP does not get released.

When I next start up, there's usually a conflict with another
machine on the network that has grabbed that IP while
the laptop was in standby.

Is there any way to tell XP to ALWAYS release the IP
when the machine is put into standby or is it the NIC
mgfr's responsibility to put that ability into the driver?

Uncle Kenny

:
: When I put my laptop into Standby, the IP assigned by
: DHCP does not get released.

This is normal, and standard.

:
: When I next start up, there's usually a conflict with another
: machine on the network that has grabbed that IP while
: the laptop was in standby.
:
: Is there any way to tell XP to ALWAYS release the IP
: when the machine is put into standby or is it the NIC
: mgfr's responsibility to put that ability into the driver?
:

That's up to the DHCP server. If it's giving out identical IPs, then it's
plain useless.

V Green

Uncle Kenny said:
:
: When I put my laptop into Standby, the IP assigned by
: DHCP does not get released.

This is normal, and standard.

Wow. And stupid. To assume that you can use the same IP
next start-up in a DHCP environment that you used when you
shut down is just plain reckless. Why not just release it as part
of the standby procedure?
:
: When I next start up, there's usually a conflict with another
: machine on the network that has grabbed that IP while
: the laptop was in standby.
:
: Is there any way to tell XP to ALWAYS release the IP
: when the machine is put into standby or is it the NIC
: mgfr's responsibility to put that ability into the driver?
:

That's up to the DHCP server. If it's giving out identical IPs, then it's
plain useless.

Did a little more checking on this. EVENTUALLY (after about 30
sec.) everything gets its own unique IP. But the INITIAL appearance
of the laptop with a conflicting IP causes a "The system has detected..."
dialog box to appear on the machine which already has it which has
to be manually dismissed. Apparently the "old" IP shows on the
network after resuming from standby just long enough to cause
a conflict before the DHCP server detects the problem and dishes
out a new, non-conflicting one.

I am only having an issue with this particular machine. Another
laptop running W2K SP4 does not have this problem.

Also, the problem does NOT occur when I do a full shutdown
vs. going into standby. The reason is obvious: "Closing network
connections" happens during a shutdown, but not during standby.

I can fix it by doing a "Reserve IP address" in the router. But it
just seems that that should not be necessary

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Try to uncheck the Network Card Power saving sp it would not Power save any
more.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
It would not Release the IP, but the Router might think that it is still
connected and would leave the IP alone.
Otherwise, give the Laptop a static IP that is out of the DHCP range.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Uncle Kenny

:
: "Uncle Kenny" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: : >
: > : > :
: > : When I put my laptop into Standby, the IP assigned by
: > : DHCP does not get released.
: >
: > This is normal, and standard.
:
: Wow. And stupid. To assume that you can use the same IP
: next start-up in a DHCP environment that you used when you
: shut down is just plain reckless. Why not just release it as part
: of the standby procedure?

Standby is NOT shutting down. It's clear sense, not stupid. Are you
arguing with decades of standard? Go for it, nobody will listen.

The very argument is clearly illogical, and ridiculous. Where's the common
sense?

:
: >
: > :
[...]

You're right, and it shouldn't. Your above response is therefore
contradictory to this one. What is your point exactly? Your DHCP server
doesn't work, basically?

V Green

Uncle Kenny said:
:
: "Uncle Kenny" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: : >
: > : > :
: > : When I put my laptop into Standby, the IP assigned by
: > : DHCP does not get released.
: >
: > This is normal, and standard.
:
: Wow. And stupid. To assume that you can use the same IP
: next start-up in a DHCP environment that you used when you
: shut down is just plain reckless. Why not just release it as part
: of the standby procedure?

Standby is NOT shutting down. It's clear sense, not stupid. Are you
arguing with decades of standard? Go for it, nobody will listen.

The very argument is clearly illogical, and ridiculous. Where's the common
sense?

Ridiculous how?

Here's what's happening (wireless 802.11 connection, BTW):

I use the laptop at work. It gets a 192.168.0.5 IP from the
router. I finish my work there and put it into standby. It retains
the 192.168.0.5 addy.

I go home and resume. If 192.168.0.5 is already in use, the laptop
"touches" (albeit briefly) the machine using it during startup which promptly
barfs the "The system has detected a conflict..." dialog. This can
happen on any of the computers in use, running OS's all the way
back to W'98.

If I wait awhile, the router will sort everything out, but I will still need
to dismiss the conflict dialog on the box that got stomped on.

I see no reason to not take the same actions when going into Standby
that are taken when you do a full shutdown (close network connections).

I realize I did not mention that this is all via 802.11 before. My bad
if this makes a difference (don't think so).
:
: >
: > :
[...]

No, don't think that's it. Works fine with all manner of other wireless
devices (Pocket PC's, wired desktop PC's, Archos 704). It just seems
to have a problem with this XPSP2 laptop.

Bob Willard

V said:
[...]

A simple fix: change your home router to issue IPAs in a different range
from that used by your office's router.

V Green

Bob Willard said:
A simple fix: change your home router to issue IPAs in a different range
from that used by your office's router.

Thanks, Bob.

I think I'll just go the "reserve an address in the router"
direction. Just wanted to see if there was any other
solution.