ip address change

O

ottech2

I have two exchange 2000 servers in a cluster and a third
server also running windows 2000 acting as dns/dhcp server
I want to change the ip address scheme on dns server from
public private scheme. When I do this what changes will i
have to also make? i.e. what else will be affected.

K

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In
ottech2 said:
I have two exchange 2000 servers in a cluster and a third
server also running windows 2000 acting as dns/dhcp server
I want to change the ip address scheme on dns server from
public private scheme. When I do this what changes will i
have to also make? i.e. what else will be affected.

Since you have public addresses on the machines now, is it assumed that
there are some incoming connections to those machines?
I suppose you will be installing a router? Or is one of the servers going to
take on the role of a router?
There are a lot of things to consider, and you don't give enough data to get
into detail.

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

If the Exchange servers are receiving inbound mail from the Internet, you will need to update the MX record in your domain name to include the new IP address
of the Exchange servers. Since the IP of your DNS will change, all your clients and servers will need updated configuration to reflect the new IP address of the
DNS server. Since this appears to be handled by your DHCP server, you can simply change it there and the clients will get the new info once they renew there
leases. What you may consider doing is running both IP schemes at the same time for a transition period. This way you are much less likely to experience an
outage. Lastly, if you are also changing the IPs on the routers, the client's and server's default gateways will need to be adjust to the new address of the router.

This is an extremely simplistic view. More detailed knowledge of your environment would be necessary to make a more educated guess. This is a very open
ended question and addressing all the possibilities of problems would require a library of books to document. If you can provide specific information about
your environment and what addresses you are changing to, we may be able to provide more useful information.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Ask a Question