Invalid boot entry

J

Jon Davis

I upgraded a hard drive and copied all the files over and used the Vista install disk to restore the boot sector, but when I did so I had the old hard drive connected via USB. When I reboot, I now have two options, one for the old drive from USB (which is bogus and invalid) and a "Windows Vista Ultimate (Restored)" option which boots from the new drive.

I've set the "Restored" option as the default in the System control panel and set the timeout to 0, but I still need to get rid of the old entry. I'm trying to use the Vista install disk to initiate a memory check and for the reboot-and-execute it's writing that to the wrong boot drive.

We used to be able to just edit boot.ini but this is Vista with a new boot loader.

Jon

R

Rick Rogers

Hi Jon,

Click start, type MSCONFIG and hit <enter>. On the boot tab, see if there is
a second entry that you can delete.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

I upgraded a hard drive and copied all the files over and used the Vista
install disk to restore the boot sector, but when I did so I had the old
hard drive connected via USB. When I reboot, I now have two options, one for
the old drive from USB (which is bogus and invalid) and a "Windows Vista
Ultimate (Restored)" option which boots from the new drive.

I've set the "Restored" option as the default in the System control panel
and set the timeout to 0, but I still need to get rid of the old entry. I'm
trying to use the Vista install disk to initiate a memory check and for the
reboot-and-execute it's writing that to the wrong boot drive.

We used to be able to just edit boot.ini but this is Vista with a new boot
loader.

Jon

C

Colin Barnhorst

The easiest way to remove Boot entries is with VistaBoot Pro 3.1 from
http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/intro.php
I upgraded a hard drive and copied all the files over and used the Vista install disk to restore the boot sector, but when I did so I had the old hard drive connected via USB. When I reboot, I now have two options, one for the old drive from USB (which is bogus and invalid) and a "Windows Vista Ultimate (Restored)" option which boots from the new drive.

I've set the "Restored" option as the default in the System control panel and set the timeout to 0, but I still need to get rid of the old entry. I'm trying to use the Vista install disk to initiate a memory check and for the reboot-and-execute it's writing that to the wrong boot drive.

We used to be able to just edit boot.ini but this is Vista with a new boot loader.

Jon

J

Jon Davis

Thanks. I'd used that once before (during the beta 1 days) but forgot about
it.

Jon

Ask a Question