Internet traffic

ruth

Paul said:
Ruth,

Hard to say actually without looking at your registry and network
traffic.
Its possible as you have been attacked by viruses in the past, that you
have
spyware or trojans running in the background. Whilst these might not
be
malicious, they use resources on your machines and look for loopholes
in the
system.

Does your Univeristy not have an IT department? If so, aren't they
meant to
provide you with an Antivirus product?

Paul.

"ruth" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Hello
At univeristy I am connected to a LAN, after getting numerous viruses
and reformatting my harddrive twice I noticed that my internet
traffic
(bytes sent and received) was rather high...I'm not sure it if was
unusually high, can't say I had really looked at it before but I
noticed a friend's internet sent and received rate was significantly
lower over a longer period of time...

I was wondering what could have caused this (if it was different to
start off with!), and also what is reasonable number of bytes sent
and
received? If mine is normal, then I can put my laptop back on the
network :)

Thanks for looking!

I'm pretty sure I have no viruses having reformatted twice, and having
two up to date anti-virus programmes, and ad-aware to remove spyware
etc.

The uni does have an IT deparment but their services to us are
limited.

Is it possible that even having reformatted I could still have viruses
lodged in my system? I did the biggest reformat possible, and am pretty
much certain that i have no boot up viruses.

Paul King

Well if you have reformatted the HDD and installed Antivirus etc, then I
would say 99.9% your machine has no viruses.

As I said earlier, the only way would be to use an SNMP tool to capture
traffic from your machine, this would tell you what information your machine
is trying to send out to the internet.

Regards
Paul.