internet time synchronization

Lou

I have 2 systems (Windows XP Home & XP Pro, both with SP2) that fail
to synchronize time via the internet. The message is "An error
occurred while Windows was synchronization with time.nist.gov". The
same message if I try to use time.windows.com. Neither computer
connected to a domain. Windows Time services active on both.

Both computers behind linksys router BEFSR41V3. One uses Windows XP
firewall, the other ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. Disabling the firewalls
does not change the symptoms.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

David H. Lipman

You may want to read the documentation. I run the software behind a Linksys BEFSR81 without
a problem.

ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/daytime/

Dave

"Lou" <llrostATqnetDOTcom> wrote in message
| I have 2 systems (Windows XP Home & XP Pro, both with SP2) that fail
| to synchronize time via the internet. The message is "An error
| occurred while Windows was synchronization with time.nist.gov". The
| same message if I try to use time.windows.com. Neither computer
| connected to a domain. Windows Time services active on both.
|
| Both computers behind linksys router BEFSR41V3. One uses Windows XP
| firewall, the other ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. Disabling the firewalls
| does not change the symptoms.
|
| What am I missing?
|
| Thanks.

Alex Nichol

Lou said:
Both computers behind linksys router BEFSR41V3. One uses Windows XP
firewall, the other ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. Disabling the firewalls
does not change the symptoms.

This sounds like the router not supporting UPnP, so that the server at
the other end is not getting the IP address right

Lou

I read the articles suggested by Kelly and David. Did not find
anytihing I could use to address problem. Tried multiple time
servers. Tried stopping and starting time service. Tried setting the
NTP server via the command line as well as the registry.

Router did not allow UPnP. Changed router to allow UPnP and still not
able to synchronize time.

There is one thing that seems strange. When I do a query using
command "net time /querysntp" the current SNTP value is:
time.nist.gov,0x1. That is the same value found in the registry. I
expected time.nist.gov.

Thanks

David H. Lipman

Have you tried -- nistime-32bit.exe ?

Dave

"Lou" <llrostATqnetDOTcom> wrote in message
| I read the articles suggested by Kelly and David. Did not find
| anytihing I could use to address problem. Tried multiple time
| servers. Tried stopping and starting time service. Tried setting the
| NTP server via the command line as well as the registry.
|
| Router did not allow UPnP. Changed router to allow UPnP and still not
| able to synchronize time.
|
| There is one thing that seems strange. When I do a query using
| command "net time /querysntp" the current SNTP value is:
| time.nist.gov,0x1. That is the same value found in the registry. I
| expected time.nist.gov.
|
| Thanks
|
| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:51:43 +0000, Alex Nichol
|
| >Lou wrote:
| >

| >>Both computers behind linksys router BEFSR41V3. One uses Windows XP
| >>firewall, the other ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. Disabling the firewalls
| >>does not change the symptoms.
| >
| >This sounds like the router not supporting UPnP, so that the server at
| >the other end is not getting the IP address right

Lou

nistime-32bit.exe works. Thanks.

I was hoping to get the XP product to work as shipped. Will do some
more reading to see if I can replace the Windows time server with
nistime-32bit. I can always disable Windows time service and simply
use nistime-32bit.

Again thanks.

Lou