Internet Tax?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
LINK

Is this the beginning of an Internet Tax?

Or is it just something we will all have to pay so that everyone gets broadband?
And will everyone actually get BB no matter where they are?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Another stealth tax for the people to cough up..I'm jolly glad I don't have a fixed landline, I haven't had one for the last 11 years..

Theres nothing like asking the general population of this country if they would like to contribute some extra cash so the good people who cannot get a connection in parts of the country that don't have cable or are to far from a telephone exhange, are then able to surf the interweb aswell..No problem with that at all..

But no this Government just goes ahead and forces it onto the general public like it or not..A democracy they say...:mad:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's communism isn't it?

Forcing the greater populous to subsidise the less fortunate.

Mind you, a lot of these so-called 'less fortunate' choose to live in their isolation and in many instances their remoteness could be seen as a luxury.

Nope, if the Captains of Industry are so convinced free enterprise is a good thing, let them lay cable to distant locations and finance it through subsidies taken from their huge profits.

It's not as if they're on a loser, it may take ten to twenty years but they will eventually recoup the cost.

Quite odd really, in this post I've managed to criticise two forms of politics, one at each end of the pole but to sum up I will reiterate that the Labour Goverment I once knew no longer exists.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Quite odd really, in this post I've managed to criticise two forms of politics...
Not odd at all... just proves that the sawdust in your attic is still dry. :p

But...there are plans here for a 100 megabyte "universal coverage" - the Ministry of Transport and Communications suggests that fast broadband networks will develop commercially, with around 95% of them available by the year 2015. The need for the public subsidy would then apply to some 4-5% of the entire population.

There already is an almost universal 1 megabyte [wireless] network up and running - the network will cover the entire country by the end of the year 2009.

85766284.png

It utilizes the frequency and base stations of the defunct 450 MHz "pre-GSM" mobile phone network. A cost efficient "rural solution" without subsidies... bear in mind that Finland has only 5.3 million inhab... ahem customers, yet the area is 338,424 km² (cf. th UK 244,820 km²).

http://www.450laajakaista.fi/9102/English

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
[size=-1]A joke on the streets of Moscow these days, according to World Bank staffer John Nellis, goes this way: "Everything the Communists told us about communism was a complete and utter lie. Unfortunately, everything the Communists told us about capitalism turned out to be true."
laughingsmiley.gif

[/size]

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They will collect the tax and then give super high speed to all the major cities then claim it is not possible to help anyone else. Same old story.
Hardly anyone around here can get Channel 5. Radio reception is patchy, some folks can not even get a phone line etc etc etc .
The poor honest folk will get stiffed to enable city slickers to live a decent lifestyle.
Nothing new.

Even some of the poorest African nations will have ten times faster broadband than us soon.

"Tax cuts and incentives have been announced in Kenya intended to boost broadband and mobile take-up as a new fibre optic cable is launched.

Kenya's Finance Minister Uhuru Kenyatta cut the 16% VAT on new phone handsets.

He also allowed internet providers to offset the cost of purchasing new fibre optic bandwidth for 20 years.

The first of three submarine cables connecting Mombasa port to Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates has been inaugurated by the president."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8096730.stm

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/business/0,39051970,62054272,00.htm?scid=rss_z_eti

"Another thing is the price of computers. We started in the government a new initiative, what we called a laptop for every university student. He can buy a laptop with no taxes on it. He can pay for this computer for four years, about 15 dollars a month.

When it comes to the Internet, we used to have a monopoly in the fixed network. Now we are working on this...Last week a company named Meta launched their services --WiMax, based on Motorola. And the prices are OK now. Comparing the prices of 2007 and now, they're less than 50 percent of what they used to be. The government also reduced the sales tax on the Internet from 16 percent to 8 percent. I have a meeting with the minister of finance--next week I will meet with him to try to get him to reduce it to zero. Also the tax on computers will be zero.

What we're doing is infrastructure, building a fiber-optic network that will reach all the schools. We will use it to provide Internet service to the villages. We will ask the ISP operator: Go to these schools and use it as a connection point that you can distribute to the houses in the village."

I hope Gordon Brown don't read this, poor chap would probably have a heart attack. Zero taxes, asking business's to stump up for initial investments. Not british at all.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question