4G LTE, Helsinki

5058545536.png

Amazing!
My speed test results:(
Ping: 61 ms
Download speed: 15.37 Mbps
Upload speed: 4.83 Mbps

Reaction score
Just renegotiated my package with VM - tenner a month less and a speed increase...

IMG_0849.jpeg

Given I pay for 300, I didn't think 377 was too shabby - especially over WiFi and in a little village. Haven't tried anything over a wired connection.

Useless for your gamers though, as I have the Super Hub 3 which has the Intel Puma ping issue which from what I read makes online gaming impossible.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
WOW... nice work! :D

Until recently that was faster than my internal house WiFi speeds :lol:. It really does show the difference in broadband rollout when some members are <10Mbps and others are 300Mbps+.

Come on Virgin Media, come to more areas :thumb:.

Reaction score
WOW... nice work! :D

Until recently that was faster than my internal house WiFi speeds :lol:. It really does show the difference in broadband rollout when some members are <10Mbps and others are 300Mbps+.

Come on Virgin Media, come to more areas :thumb:.

My sister lives in a village where fibre is available but because of distance from the exchange is no faster than the 1mb ADSL they get. They are looking into one of those EE shoe boxes that were on BBC news last week. Should be significantly quicker, but is quite expensive at £60 a month for 200gb of data.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
EE shoe boxes

I'd not heard of those until you posted that - hopefully the price will start to come down in the coming years, as that's still pretty expensive for 200GB 4G data (especially when you think how fast Netflix will burn through that at those speeds!).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
60 a month for 200gb of data.
:eek:

Nice speeds with VM Chris, makes you wonder how they can keep bumping the speed, yet some areas are so over subscribed they struggle to maintain them. Do you see those speeds all the time?

It is a bit of a shame there is such a difference in speeds available though...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There's a company round here named Hyperoptic who've recently laid fibre cable locally including the building my flat is located in.

They're offering three speed packages the middle one of which is 150Mb with unlimited use for £38 a month and the first year is just £25 a month and this includes the phone line. Minimum 12 month contract.

I'm currently paying Zen £30 a month for the online service and £17 a month for my phone line so to switch I'd be saving £22 a month for a year then £9 a month thereafter, a significant amount when you're surviving mostly on pensions. And I never use my landline so phone call charges there are irrelevant.

One disadvantage is with Zen I'm on a monthly contract whereas if Hyperoptic turn out to be rubbish I'm stuck with them for a year. I'll also lose my Zen email address which I use for the Xbox One S but that shouldn't be a prob as I've just created a second Gmail email account I can use.

I also have a domain name registered with Zen but I suppose that stays the same anyway.

I phoned Hyperoptic and asked them bluntly if they'd throttle the service if I downloaded excessive amounts as their small print mentions a 'fair use' policy but the lady I spoke to assured me they didn't although I got the impression she didn't really know what she was talking about.

So, on paper it appears to be a better deal but for more than 13 years Zen have been really good so I'm full of niggling doubts and fears. What to do?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So, on paper it appears to be a better deal but for more than 13 years Zen have been really good so I'm full of niggling doubts and fears. What to do?

A good friend has Hyperoptic in his flat in Manchester, and he loves it. It's crazy fast and I suspect he will download a HUGE amount, so throttling can't be much of an issue for him. As far as I know, it's a big thumbs up from him.

I imagine a huge factor with this company is the way it was installed in the building (i.e. reliability and local peering). Do you know what other residents think?

I'd be signing up for that in an instant if it was in my building :D.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'd be signing up for that in an instant if it was in my building :D.
Me too, if I could get Hyperoptic I'd not even think twice about it. They get good feedback on the usual places Flops, if that means anything to you. :)

Reaction score
:eek:
Do you see those speeds all the time?

So far, yep! All the time we were on Vivid 200, we got a consistent 220 down and 12 up. All the time.

Edit: I do wonder whether we struck lucky in that the cabinet is opposite our house, and there was a BT service here not VM when we moved in so they pulled a brand new cable from the cabinet when we got connected as quite a few people complain about their service but we never seem to have the same issues *touch wood*

Ask a Question