Internet Explorer closes first window after opening second window.


D

Dawg6

When I am working on a my school website and I click to go to a document or
another site, internet explorer will open another window and then close the
previous so that I cannot go back. I then have to reopen internet explorer
and re-enter my password to get back to the point when I opened the other
window.
 
Ad

Advertisements

F

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Dawg6 said:
When I am working on a my school website and I click to go to a document
or
another site, internet explorer will open another window and then close
the
previous so that I cannot go back. I then have to reopen internet
explorer
and re-enter my password to get back to the point when I opened the other
window.

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced.
Uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts".

Also, if you have Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program (especially uninstall Yahoo Companion).

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

If you're *sure* that another program isn't causing this, these links may
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/27.html
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/26.html
 
D

Don Varnau

Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... the Yahoo toolbar is notorious for causing this. Uninstalling the
Yahoo toolbar
should allow a second window to open.

If the Yahoo toolbar is not the troublemaker, look at your other
toolbars/pop-up blockers. One of them may be causing this.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]
 
D

Dawg6 via WindowsKB.com

Thank you both for your replies. It worked. I can now get on my school work.


Dawg6

Don said:
Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... the Yahoo toolbar is notorious for causing this. Uninstalling the
Yahoo toolbar
should allow a second window to open.

If the Yahoo toolbar is not the troublemaker, look at your other
toolbars/pop-up blockers. One of them may be causing this.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]
When I am working on a my school website and I click to go to a document or
another site, internet explorer will open another window and then close the
previous so that I cannot go back. I then have to reopen internet explorer
and re-enter my password to get back to the point when I opened the other
window.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

Thanks fellas this helped me too


Dawg6 via WindowsKB.com said:
Thank you both for your replies. It worked. I can now get on my school work.


Dawg6

Don said:
Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... the Yahoo toolbar is notorious for causing this. Uninstalling the
Yahoo toolbar
should allow a second window to open.

If the Yahoo toolbar is not the troublemaker, look at your other
toolbars/pop-up blockers. One of them may be causing this.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]
When I am working on a my school website and I click to go to a document or
another site, internet explorer will open another window and then close the
previous so that I cannot go back. I then have to reopen internet explorer
and re-enter my password to get back to the point when I opened the other
window.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top