Internet Explorer 6.0 Crashes when using NetZero IP

Hello all,

I have Windows 98SE with Internet Explorer 6.0 as a web browser. I have
NetZero as an internet provider. Once I connect to the NetZero homepage,
Netzero crashes my Internet Explorer and gives me a Fatal Exception 06 Error
message. If I uninstall the NetZero software and use a different Internet
Provider, then I can surf the net as normal. Internet Explorer only crashes
with the Netzero software installed. I surfed the net on Mon., Mar. 14th and
it worked fine before shutting it down. On Tues., Mar 15th, I could no longer
use the internet. I have contacted the NetZero Technical Support Staff, which
suggested that I should contact you because some of their members have
reported experiencing this error after downloading the latest Windows
Security Update for Windows 95, 98 and ME Operating Systems. Please help me
out with this issue as I really like NetZero and would like to stay with
them. My wife uses the internet for her home based business and really needs
this problem resolved ASAP, as I am typing this email from work because we
have no internet access from home. Thank you very much.

Craig W

Don Varnau

Hi,
The latest update for IE/Win98 (891711) has caused major problems on some
Win98/WinME systems. Since your problem is only with NetZero's software, I'm
not sure that 891711 is the problem, but you can easily check.

Run MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Uncheck 891711. Restart and
reinstall the NetZero software. If that solves the problem, you can
uninstall 891711 from add/remove programs. It's an important security
update, but there are some workarounds to mitigate, somewhat, the removal of
the update. Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-001.mspx and expand
"Vulnerability Details" to read the workarounds.

If 891711 doesn't appear to be causing your problems, post back to this
thread. We'll see if other ideas come up.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Thanks a million Don. It worked!!!!!

Craig W said:
[...]

You're welcome.Thanks for the feedback. Keep watching for updates from
Microsoft. It's possible that a future update will close these
vulnerabilities without causing the problems that 891711 caused on some
systems.

Don
--
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
The latest update for IE/Win98 (891711) has caused major problems on some
Win98/WinME systems. Since your problem is only with NetZero's software, I'm
not sure that 891711 is the problem, but you can easily check.
[snip]
14th
and Staff,
which