Intermittent lock up when using IE

glorianne

My IE browser intermittently locks up when I am on-line.
I can move the mouse around, but it sort of skips as if
not enough memory were behind it,even if I only have one
browser open. I've tried all the recommendations that my
internet provider's support staff has suggested. I've
reconfigured my registry, my start-up files, freed up
some space on system resources, and even downloaded the
new IE6 service pack. Nothing worked. Is anyone with
Windows XP having a similar problem? Please help...
thanks much in advance.

Martian

glorianne said:
My IE browser intermittently locks up when I am on-line.
I can move the mouse around, but it sort of skips as if
not enough memory were behind it,even if I only have one
browser open. I've tried all the recommendations that my
internet provider's support staff has suggested. I've
reconfigured my registry, my start-up files, freed up
some space on system resources, and even downloaded the
new IE6 service pack. Nothing worked. Is anyone with
Windows XP having a similar problem? Please help...
thanks much in advance.

Mine is locking up in XP Home whenever I use IE, Media Player, and
anything else, if I keep computing long enough. I can't move the
mouse at all, even after trying everything I could find from
Microsoft, Compaq, Comcast, and the boards. Please help. We know the
truth is out there.

Martian

*********************** (Martian) wrote in message news: said:
Mine is locking up in XP Home whenever I use IE, Media Player, and
anything else, if I keep computing long enough. I can't move the
mouse at all, even after trying everything I could find from
Microsoft, Compaq, Comcast, and the boards. Please help. We know the
truth is out there.

The manufacturer (Compaq in this case) directed me to load a Softpaq
that affects heat and reflashes the BIOS. Then I went to the Download
Center and downloaded and installed everything but Jet 7 one at a
time. I have to leave Messenger open all the time now, which is a
security risk, but at least everything's finally working.

One thing I found helped a lot was after I'd cleared the start-up
files, etc., I went into the performance settings (per Compaq's
direction), and made sure the virtual memory was set to the
recommended amount listed there and the other items were set back to
the defaults (settings that had not worked with the old XP file
versions). Then it magically stabilized. So far, so good.