Intel vs AMD

Reaction score
I prefer AMD some will beg to differ it is up to the individual really

IMHO? All the builds I have done I have used AMD they are very reliable fast and efficient.
I will say I don`t OC.

Reaction score
1st pc was intel, 2nd was AMD & laptop is intel, but only as at the time the 64bit cpu's were costly.
It really does depend on what your wanting to do?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What's gone down in the past doesn't really matter, it's what's available now that counts.

I always favoured AMD so was quite shocked when Intel brought out their Core 2 Duo series, which, basically, have walked all over the AMD chips.

I have two systems as my main machines, one has an Intel Core 2 duo 6600 @ 2.4Ghz and the other has that first CPU you've linked to, the AMD Black edition dualie @ 3.2Ghz.

The Intel machine has an advantage as it's using a RAID 0 setup with two Western Digital Raptors but possibly against it is it's loaded with Vista whereas the AMD machine is using XP Pro.

So maybe they're about evens.

So which chip runs the fastest? I'm really hard pushed to tell the difference to be honest but I think, if pushed, I'd say the AMD is ahead by a nose. It certainly crunches WCG work units quicker than the Intel machine.

That AMD dual 3.2 Black Edition is an absolute bargain at the moment so if I were in your position, of the two chips you've listed I'd go for the AMD.

PS: The Intel chips atm are technically better, but I think the AMD chip wins out on sheer speed @ 3.2Ghz.

Reaction score
Actually, what do you mean by technically better? More reliable or something?

And what would I need in terms of a motherboard/cooling system if I were to get the AMD black edition?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Twazzock said:
Actually, what do you mean by technically better? More reliable or something?

Nope, nothing to do with reliability, it's the internal architecture of the CPU itself and how quickly an individual CPU can process commands.

And what would I need in terms of a motherboard/cooling system if I were to get the AMD black edition?

I refer you to your other thread asking about recommended system, no point in repeating myself.

Reaction score
I've decided to try and keep my spending on my new machine under £500 (it's £538 atm, I posted it in my other topic). I saw this processor:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135664

It's roughly the same price as the less powerful:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130486

What's the actual difference in speed between the 2.6GHz AMD and the 2.2GHz Intel? Is it really noticable?

I asked my friend about AMD and Intel, and he said I'd be mad to go for AMD. Something about it not being technically as good, and that if I asked anyone they'd be against it. Turns out, it seems like a pretty good idea to go with AMD. So which of the two would you reccomend?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Odd, that's the CPU I recommended right at the beginning :confused:

The 3.2 AMD has a slight edge on the Intel 6600 (in my opinion through real use) but the 6600 is better than the AMD 2.6.

Clear as mud eh? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Twazzock said:
Did I not link to the E4500 and the 2.6 AMD?

It would appear you did.

But you've changed the goalposts so often I've kinda lost track.

Cya :wave:

Nice case Murdoch, matches my vanity case :D

Reaction score
I asked my friend about AMD and Intel, and he said I'd be mad to go for AMD.
:rolleyes: Who's mad?

Built this spec last week running like a dream

CPU HERE

HDD HERE

MOBO HERE

RAM HERE

G/C HERE Total £249.71 [for this lot]

Add your choice of Case+Cooling fans/DVD R-+W Etc:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This will give you a basic idea of how different cpus stack up against each other ,

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html

There are a lot of different review and test sites out there for all sorts of pc parts so its well worth spending time reading up about what you are buying .
I have met several pc " experts " who have had a proper education in the field and they really make me laugh with some of the tripe they come out with .
As my martial arts master once told me , beware of the chap who claims he is a master at anything , I have been learning my art for 65 years and I still class myself as a student because I am constantly learning something new .

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
:D

Reaction score
"As my martial arts master once told me , beware of the chap who claims he is a master at anything , I have been learning my art for 65 years and I still class myself as a student because I am constantly learning something new ."

Is that the tripe the PC experts come out with, or what your actual martial arts master said...

Ask a Question