Instralling XP on a PC.

Newsgroup

I installed my XPPro software on my laptop and duly registered & activated
it. Having got an old PC that needs reinstallation I wanted to know if the
original XP CD can also install here and if so, how would I activate it
etc...

Thanks.

Gordon

Newsgroup said:
I installed my XPPro software on my laptop and duly registered & activated
it. Having got an old PC that needs reinstallation I wanted to know if
the original XP CD can also install here and if so, how would I activate
it etc...

Thanks.

Only if a) it's a RETAIL copy and b) if you REMOVE it from the laptop.....

John Barnett MVP

As far as i know OEM copies are altered by the PC manufacturer and may be
tied to the hardware on your laptop. Retails copies can be installed on
'any' machine. So with yuor OEM copy i would expect you to have problems.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Gordon

Yes - OEM copies remain tied to the first machine they are installed
on....You cannot transfer it to another machine...

Bruce Chambers

Newsgroup said:
I installed my XPPro software on my laptop and duly registered & activated
it. Having got an old PC that needs reinstallation I wanted to know if the
original XP CD can also install here and if so, how would I activate it
etc...

Thanks.

You need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on
which you install it. (As long as you have multiple identical licenses,
it doesn't matter if you use the same CD for the installations, as long
as you use a different license each time.)

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Bruce Chambers

OEM versions must be sold with a piece of non-peripheral hardware
(normally a motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC, although
Microsoft has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are
_permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An OEM
license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another computer
under any circumstances. This is the main reason some people avoid OEM
versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even stolen), you
cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC. The only legitimate way to
transfer the ownership of an OEM license is to transfer ownership of the
entire PC.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: