Installing Xp Pro 64 Bit To A Clean Hd, That Had Windows 7 Installed.

Reaction score
I bought a acer aspire 7735z 64 bit last august, it came with an automatic update to windows 7, which I installed when it arrived, after a few months I soon learned I couldn't run some of my programs with this setup. so I got a xp pro 64 bit, it was a student media version, which I tried a clean install with I couldn't get it to complete the install, does anyone know what went wrong?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not many clues there.

To install XP your HD will have to be formatted.

You should be able to do this as part of the XP install process.

Boot from the XP CD, let it do it's stuff and you will arrive at the option to format your hard drive, usually C drive. Choose the option to format, not 'quick format' and choose NTFS if offered a choice of file format.

It will take some time anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour depending on the size of your hard disk but XP should then go on to install ok.

If that doesn't work post back with full details of what you're actually doing.

It would also help if you told us where exactly the install failed, is it the registration process perhaps?

Reaction score
RGIBBSP said:
I bought a acer aspire 7735z 64 bit last august, it came with an automatic update to windows 7, which I installed when it arrived, after a few months I soon learned I couldn't run some of my programs with this setup. so I got a xp pro 64 bit, it was a student media version, which I tried a clean install with I couldn't get it to complete the install, does anyone know what went wrong?

I ordered a windows xp pro 64 bit on ebay, when it came it was a student media disk, supposed to be full install, it started to install, did all drivers, then it said an error has occored and windows cannot preceed, chick my hardrive and then try, which I did two times, but I gave up and reinstalled windows 7.

Reaction score
RGIBBSP said:
I ordered a windows xp pro 64 bit on ebay, when it came it was a student media disk, supposed to be full install,

Mmm.. Ebay? :rolleyes:

Ask a Question