Installing Windows XP on External USB2.0 HDD

Garry

Howdy all... I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I use a laptop at work and we are on a domain. When I get home, in order
to use my network I have to go to using a workgroup, and uninstall
microsoft proxy client.

What I did to go around this is get an external USB 2.0 enclosure for a
spare 40GB drive i have. in addition to being faster, I can just use 2
installations of windows instead of one, and not have to worry about
switching back to workgroup and uninstall/reinstalling proxy client.

Problem I ran into was that after winxp goes through the text install
part, it gets BSOD after the initial gui pops up. Is there a workaround
for this problem yet?

If not, anyone have any suggestions... i know hardware profiles won't
work because I'll still have to uninstall and reinstall microsoft proxy
client whenever I go back and forth from work, which is a pain.

Any ideas?

TIA
Garry

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Garry,
Not going to work. There is not easy to implement, so currently there
isn't a way to do this, and it's doubtful that it would happen any time
soon.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| Subject: Installing Windows XP on External USB2.0 HDD
| From: Garry <[email protected]>
| Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:43:27 GMT
|
| Howdy all... I'm in a bit of a pickle.
|
| I use a laptop at work and we are on a domain. When I get home, in order
| to use my network I have to go to using a workgroup, and uninstall
| microsoft proxy client.
|
| What I did to go around this is get an external USB 2.0 enclosure for a
| spare 40GB drive i have. in addition to being faster, I can just use 2
| installations of windows instead of one, and not have to worry about
| switching back to workgroup and uninstall/reinstalling proxy client.
|
| Problem I ran into was that after winxp goes through the text install
| part, it gets BSOD after the initial gui pops up. Is there a workaround
| for this problem yet?
|
| If not, anyone have any suggestions... i know hardware profiles won't
| work because I'll still have to uninstall and reinstall microsoft proxy
| client whenever I go back and forth from work, which is a pain.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| TIA
| Garry

Garry

Well... that doesn't really totally answer my question...

WORK:
-Domain
-Need MS Proxy Client 2.0 Installed

Home:
-Workgroup
-Need MS Proxy Client 2.0 Uninstalled

Is there a way i can setup this scenario using hardware profiles?

TIA
Garry

(e-mail address removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]") wrote

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Gary,
Sorry I missed that part, didn't read it closely enough.
Right-slick my computer and goto manage.
Open services and locate the proxy service.
Under logon is the option to enable or disable based on hardware profiles.

Right-click My computer and choose Properties
Use the hardware profiles button and then the copy and rename your existing
profile.
Disable the service in the one for home

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| Subject: RE: Installing Windows XP on External USB2.0 HDD
| From: Garry <[email protected]>
| Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:48:27 GMT
|
| Well... that doesn't really totally answer my question...
|
| WORK:
| -Domain
| -Need MS Proxy Client 2.0 Installed
|
| Home:
| -Workgroup
| -Need MS Proxy Client 2.0 Uninstalled
|
| Is there a way i can setup this scenario using hardware profiles?
|
| TIA
| Garry
|
| (e-mail address removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]") wrote
| > Hello Garry,
| > Not going to work. There is not easy to implement, so currently there
| > isn't a way to do this, and it's doubtful that it would happen any
| > time soon.
| > Thanks,
| > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
| >
| >| Howdy all... I'm in a bit of a pickle.
| >|
| >| I use a laptop at work and we are on a domain. When I get home, in
| >| order to use my network I have to go to using a workgroup, and
| >| uninstall microsoft proxy client.
| >|
| >| What I did to go around this is get an external USB 2.0 enclosure for
| >| a spare 40GB drive i have. in addition to being faster, I can just
| >| use 2 installations of windows instead of one, and not have to worry
| >| about switching back to workgroup and uninstall/reinstalling proxy
| >| client.
| >|