installing norton products

Reaction score
Hi there!

Sorry if this seems very basic but I'm not a computer expert!

I have norton system works 2005 and norton firewall 2005 installd on my computer.

I have purchased full not upgrade versions of the 2006 products. The full versions were actually cheaper!

Should I uninstall the 2005 produvts. If yes do I use the remove programs tool in control panel?

Thanks a lot.

Ken

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Over my dead body ... oh, on your PC, ok.

The 2006 version will up-grade your existing copies of Norton, or should. However, my advice is to uninstall each one AND all its paraphernalia via "add & remove program", like live update, then run CCleaner, then check the HD for remnants left behind and delete them also and run their clean-up tool. Then I'd go and install KAV, err, sorry, I mean that program.

Sorry to sound sarcastic, but I am ... not aimed at you personally I might add, but squarely at Norton's crap ... there are far better FREE products on the market that do a better job with less hassle than sysmantec.

Just an unbias opinion here. ;)

* you would not believe I was a staunch advocate of norton at one time ... would you? *

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You may sound sarcastic Mucks, but what you say about Norton are correct :thumb:

Junes edition of Computer Shopper tested 12 well known AV products - Kaspersky came top and foiled all the nasties thrown at it, as did Staganos which uses Kasperskys software - Norton failed in several anti-trojan tests and is twice the price, it was even beaten by AVG Free Edition....:rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh, I read, a little more fortunate than most in that I have loads of time ... not that I'll believe everything I read though.

I have very strong views, that can change with circumstances. ;)

I do not recommend AVG either, have done in the past, it is a wee bit better than Norton. :p

Until I prove to myself otherwise I'll keep recommending KAV, paid for, or AntiVir for free ... along with the other safetynet you need to run with Windows.

Still love my Linux for browsing the internet. :D

Ask a Question